Holiday tank survival!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's discuss what precautions during the holidays you put in place to protect your tank, from friends and family (little ones)that come over.

This includes previous holidays and events that happened that made your skin crawl, sweat bullets, basically stand guard as a "tank soldier" to protect your tank. Near misses, tank blunders and "oh no's!" That happened!

Go!

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll start. I have 4 grand kids, 2-10 of age. They can become little "wild things" with new toys without constant hawk eye.

I've probably said, "you don't throw anything in the house!" Oh, a thousand times this Christmas. Visions of " tink" and "gush" and "splash" and waterfalls haunt me!

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3 year old attempting 'around the world' with his new yo-yo near the tank this afternoon. I had the same fear of what was coming. I was quick to recommend playing with it away from the aquarium!

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my friend had a heart attack after discovering half eaten chicken wing in the tank, and the fishes were enjoying themselves. Luckily nothing bad happened to his tank. Wheewww, that was closed to a tank crash!

Not holiday related. Came home years and years ago after work and the stepdaughter and grandboys came to visit. Tank looked cloudy and stuff was floating in it. Further inspection found a half eaten burrito in the sump! No damage done, water changes and back to normal. Guess my fish liked hot sauce!

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not holiday related. Came home years and years ago after work and the stepdaughter and grandboys came to visit. Tank looked cloudy and stuff was floating in it. Further inspection found a half eaten burrito in the sump! No damage done, water changes and back to normal. Guess my fish liked hot sauce!

:D. A good reason to build a canopy with a hidden locking mechanism. Better be safe than sorry. Kind of scary when children are playing near the tank. One single blow of their hard toys will flood the house. :(

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D. A good reason to build a canopy with a hidden locking mechanism. Better be safe than sorry. Kind of scary when children are playing near the tank. One single blow of their hard toys will flood the house. :(

Scary stuff, isnt?! Lol, but true! Soft stuff can spook you too..........................The grand boys got those blow up balls you get in and bounce off each other. Wife wanted to blow them up for them and I said "OUTSIDE"! LOL!

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scary stuff, isnt?! Lol, but true! Soft stuff can spook you too..........................The grand boys got those blow up balls you get in and bounce off each other. Wife wanted to blow them up for them and I said "OUTSIDE"! LOL!

Haha. It sure is!. Luckily I have an acre compound for kids to roam and do whatever they want LOL.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. It sure is!. Luckily I have an acre compound for kids to roam and do whatever they want LOL.

I don't have acreage, but they can play down stairs.
IMG_20171112_181700.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anut came to visit one year, and promptly walked over to the tank asked me how warm it was and stuck her lotioned hand in there to test it like she was checking bath water! Almost had a heart attack!!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 103 75.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back