Rating - 0%
0   0   0

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R! I have a 81 gallon fiji cube ext aquarium, and it needs a stand. The aquarium is 36x24. I was considering something like this for a stand: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-6...eel-Garage-Storage-System-G7200S-US/206288247

It is rated for 3000 pounds. Is there anything fundamentally flawed about using this as an aquarium stand?
my first reaction was price, a bit to much, second was are those bolts strong enough on those adjustable legs, are they made from stainless steel, if not they will rust fast. and third, those adjustable skew legs on bottom, they will make big dents in your floor if its wooden.

OP
OP

42ELITASREV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my first reaction was price, a bit to much, second was are those bolts strong enough on those adjustable legs, are they made from stainless steel, if not they will rust fast. and third, those adjustable skew legs on bottom, they will make big dents in your floor if its wooden.
I would love a more affordable suggestion, most of the purpose build stands I found were 500+.

I have no idea on the bolt strength, I assume the manufacturer rated the weight capacity accurately.

For rust resistance I suppose I could coat the bolts with a quality paint once assembled, but now that you point it out that may be a deal breaker, its not going to help me much if it rusts apart in a year.

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build a t-slot stand. Home Depot has them.

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a more affordable suggestion, most of the purpose build stands I found were 500+.

I have no idea on the bolt strength, I assume the manufacturer rated the weight capacity accurately.

For rust resistance I suppose I could coat the bolts with a quality paint once assembled, but now that you point it out that may be a deal breaker, its not going to help me much if it rusts apart in a year.
If you don't care much about looks, you can definitely make one out of 2x4's for relatively cheap. I made one for my 400 gallon tank out of 2x4 and 2x6.
If that's something youl be into, Google some diy aquarium stands. They are not hard or expensive to do.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see an issue with the HD bench. But I would make sure the width is a true 24", or at least wide enough so your tank is fully supported. I suspect the feet are big enough to not damage most flooring, but if its a worry, you can make some coasters out of 1 x 4 oak (or similar).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Based on construction - It will work well but Im all about cabinet doors and a canopy

OP
OP

42ELITASREV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build a t-slot stand. Home Depot has them.
Thanks for the suggestion, I am looking at that now. It seems I need to educate my self on best practices with t-slot construction, the stands I spec out myself are coming to 600 to 700 dollars.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 138 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back