Workbench for Aquarium Stand

moviegeek80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon 5 ft long, 16" high acrylic tank I want to put on this:

Husky 6 ft. Adjustable Height Solid Wood Top Workbench in Black for ... https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-6...eel-Garage-Storage-System-G7200S-US/206288247

Dimensionally, the tank will have inches of space all the way around on the top when centered. Weight rating is well high enough from manufacturer of workbench.

Would this work? Would I need to add additional bracing? I have one of these tables already I use for a desk and I literally jumped up and down on it (6'4" 220 lbs and felt zero sway or give.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're looking at about ~750lbs for the water, sand and rocks plus the weight of the tank. I would think with a rating of 3,000lbs you'd be ok (tank-water would be under 1,000lbs). I couldn't see under the stand to see what kind of bracing they have under the wood, but I guess if it's lacking that's always something you could add.

OP
OP
M

moviegeek80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're looking at about ~750lbs for the water, sand and rocks plus the weight of the tank. I would think with a rating of 3,000lbs you'd be ok (tank-water would be under 1,000lbs). I couldn't see under the stand to see what kind of bracing they have under the wood, but I guess if it's lacking that's always something you could add.
Yeah, I 'm not too worried about the racking of the table (side to side), but underneath the table there is no center support. However, the table top is made from 1 1/4 " solid maple (not veneer), I think I may add a metal strut down the center underneath. Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
M

moviegeek80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I 'm not too worried about the racking of the table (side to side), but underneath the table there is no center support. However, the table top is made from 1 1/4 " solid maple (not veneer), I think I may add a metal strut down the center underneath. Thanks for the advice!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back