Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'd be better served by using a single whole house filter. So just the basic sediment filter.

Then use a carbon and other(lead ammonia copper) filter near drinking water outlets. It'll save you on filter changes.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends greatly on your source water. I have relatively high TDS ~350, but not a lot of sediment. I put smallish 10" (big blue style) 25 micron carbon filter on the house a few months ago and it's been great. I've heard terrible things about filters that small though with pressure drop. But we already have decent 70psi pressure, so I can tolerate a bit of a drop. I expect the filter to last about 2-3 months, and it's 10-15$ a filter. It was on sale though, so the initial investment and filters was only about $100 with all the fittings, ball valves etc... I have it ahead of my water softener, and so far it's lasted longer than I anticipated. If I was paying full price and I had room, I'd get a single 20" 25 micron carbon filter, or sediment + carbon if I had sediment in the water.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4”x20” 50/5 micron combo sediment, bone char and GAC mixed media canister, then 5 micron carbon block running ahead of my water softener. Feeds the whole house. Works great, and really improves the rodi unit performance. I have been using the same filters with zero chloramine breakthrough for over a year. I have 550-1000 tds. My sediment filter really impresses me as there is quite a bit to filter in my water.

OP
OP
Rob.D

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, great info!!!
I think I'll check TDS over the next few weeks to see which will be needed most.

As far as sediment goes, I know it will need to be changed out quite often, the local lines are galvanized steel and they won't be changing those anytime soon. I am in the middle of remodeling my house so parts of the house is now PEX line.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 93 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back