Kinnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New House - CHECK
New Baby - CHECK
Aquarium Build - Heck Yes!!

After moving into our new home and welcoming our newborn son, it's definitely time to get back into the game! A little bit of background, I've always had fish but did not get into Reef keeping until I had the opportunity to visit the Keys with my High School Biology Class. During our trip, we had the chance to dive and observe several different ecosystems. I became especially interested in the ecosystem that lives within the floating patches of Sargassum. Fast forward to the best scam ever... I convinced my parents that I needed a reef tank for "Science Fair." In my defense, it was actually a really solid study...

Fast forward, I started with a 33g, moved to a 47 tall and squeezed a BioCube into our shoebox apartment in Chicago... Now it's time for a new build and I want to start from scratch! This is what I'm thinking so far and the first step will begin with curing the dry rock... Feedback is very much appreciated:

• SC Aquariums 50g Starfire PNP
  • 2X AI Prime HD
  • Live Rock - combo of BRS Shapes, some Tonga Plate and Reef Saver
  • Sand - Mixture of Live and Dry
  • RODI & Mixing Station
  • Still not 100 on heat source and other upgrades needed

I'm hoping to get the mixing station setup this weekend, rock ordered and begin the curing process (I want to take my time and control every step of the process)

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great system in the making. Congrats on the baby and the house.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, can't wait to see some pictures. Let me know what you think of the coverage from the 2 AI primes, I really like the looks of those lights.

OP
OP
Kinnick

Kinnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, can't wait to see some pictures. Let me know what you think of the coverage from the 2 AI primes, I really like the looks of those lights.

They definitely look very slick! I am planning on running a mixed reef and had hesitations at first regarding PAR. However, I've been binging on BRStv. I came across this video:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/week-21-led-reef-lighting-tuning-par-spread-spectrum/

I'm kind of wavering between the AI Primes or mounting a couple Tuna Blue's... either way, I think it will be a nice change from the standard lighting unit.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back