Home Plumbing Help Needed

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Joined
Nov 26, 2011
Messages
7,296
Reaction score
6,388
Location
PA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought an acid neutralizer for my house. I'm perfectly comfortable with plumbing it into the supply lines, but I'm concerned about the drain line. I'm putting this in my basement and it is right below the 3" main sewer line out to my septic tank. I am directly below a horizontal run but I'm only a few feet away from the vertical section before it goes outside.

My question is how do I properly tie into the 3" PVC sewage line? I know I need to prevent backflow, but I'm unclear on the proper approach. I am not near a vent and I'd rather not have to run something outside if it can be avoided. Is a simple backflow prevention valve enough? The line is pressurized with the house water pressure when in use.

Thanks in advance!
 
I am not a plumber.

Just wanted to get that out of the way first. Lol. A trap should be fine to stop gasses from back flowing.

A trap would stop the gasses, but it requires a vent for an air source. They make devices that allow air in, but they're really unreliable.
 
Turns out you CAN do this with just a trap. Something about it being on the vertical section of my sewage line allows you to do that. Add a long pipe on top of the trap and you have your air gap. Cost me $200, but at least I know it's right :)

IMG_1623.jpg
 
Turns out you CAN do this with just a trap. Something about it being on the vertical section of my sewage line allows you to do that. Add a long pipe on top of the trap and you have your air gap. Cost me $200, but at least I know it's right :)

IMG_1623.jpg
Who would have thought??? Haha glad you got it figured out.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 27.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new