Home vs. Office Tank

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a double-nano-tank-transfer (home nano + office nano), I now have one office display tank. There are pros and cons for each, for sure. I especially miss the evening time with the home tank, getting to see the fish before they go to sleep, seeing the night-active corals like my trachy and scoly wide open, and of course spying on the tank with my red flashlight to see what creepy crawlys come out after lights-out. Who else has had the pleasure of both home and office tanks? Here's my breakdown:

Home Tank
Pros: time to relax and watch your reef; do tank maintenance on your own schedule; see what's happening after lights-out; respond to emergencies faster; can always stay up later to get tank To-Dos like testing or cleaning done

Cons: tank maintenance and husbandry can intrude on valuable home/family time; takes up home space; finding someone to take care of your tank on vacation; cost of running a tank

Office Tank
Pros: get to show off your tank during video calls; get to see your tank more during the daytime; RODI + mixing station at office + office electricity = AWESOME; maintenance and husbandry at office leaves more time for home activities; get a coworker to take care of your tank during travel/vacation--make sure they know their next employee evaluation will not depend on the state of your tank when you get back, wink wink!

Cons: have to do tank maintenance around work schedule; less productive at work, maybe, yeah definitely; keeping fish fed/ATO filled/dosing done over the weekend can be problematic; less time to relax and watch; much harder to find time for time-intensive tasks like testing/cleaning/fragging; disaster is a double disaster, because a tank blowout in your office can be BAD

Anything else?

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very smelly skimmate at office have been an issue a couple times for me...
Harder to clean equipment thoroughly at office sink/kitchen.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back