Homemade Fish Food Ideas (DIY)

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Blended sea food is interesting. Wasn't sure if there's actually much for the fish to eat if it's liquified. But I have larger fish that could fit a whole fish in their belly, so blended microscopic food wouldn't be beneficial for them.

I use a cheese grater attachment on my Kitchen Aid mixer. I keep all sea food frozen and run it through the cheese grater. This keeps the food from liquifying and it comes out as flakes. There's two sizes if of graters. I run shrimp, scallops, and tuna (raw and frozen) through the cheese grater into disposable aluminum trays. I keep ice under the tray that receives said frozen food. Then manually tear up nori, I add 1-2 bottles of selcon, some aminos, a couple cap fulls of powdered food from BRS to add color to the food and the fish. And then I add some type of oyster feast, fish eggs, something small for smaller fish as well as Benepet coral food. I usually do a freeze dried food of some type. My fish seem to like freeze dried mysis. (a whole container).

I Then mix all ingreadents gently into the frozen food so as not to crush the freeze drived food. Then I use gallon freezer bags and gently place on a scale. A 1 gallon freezer bag easily holds 16 oz (1lb) of food and I flatten it into a flat pack and place in freezer immediately before it thaws too much.

I've done 6-8 lbs, up to 16 lbs of this at once in a 3-4 hour period.

Rod's food is $18 for 6 oz (plus shipping). I do mine for around $25 for 16 oz. I save easily $400-600 a year by spending 3-4 making my own food.
great idea! I was thinking about something similar but never got past grating it; didn't think about cooling the catchment pan.
I use the gelatin to keep it together. the cube-trays I have are small enough some of my fish can eat a whole cube. Some of the cubes go through the MP40 for the smaller fish.

Trizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Step 2 Chop fresh seafood available to a paste form, pick something up J and it does not have to be the same all the time.
f1.jpg
f2.jpg
f3.jpg
f5.jpg

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

f3.jpg

f5.jpg
i just did the same thing fish and nems love it

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for those of you that have a couple small fish (1"-3")......are you making homemade food? portions would have to be super small. Working with such small portions, I assume the food would go bad before you'd actually use it. Maybe going the homemade food route would be best when you have more livestock/nems, in the tank

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back