Hoping to setup a solid 20 gallon tank. Advice?

HollyFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, first post. Glad to be here and ready to learn. My friend took me with him to the LFS and I’m hooked of course ever since. I promptly took advantage of Petcos $1 per gallon sale and bought a 20 gallon tank. I would’ve definitely gone 30-40 but currently renting a townhome with my fiancé and 3 dogs so not a ton of room for now. I’m hoping to do clowns and down the road anemones or just easier corals if nems are too difficult. I am currently on day 6 of cycling the water with Dr Tim’s ammonia and One and all bacteria. Today was the first day nitrites showed up so that was exciting lol I got pretty much a free setup from a friend but I know it’s not optimal so wanting to upgrade and have made a list of what I plan on getting. Currently I have a cheap heater and a sponge filter with an air pump running it. I used live sand and regular rocks. If I could get some help in what the optimal 20 gallon setup would be within a reasonable budget I’d appreciate it. I’ve done some research and heard these were good items but please tell me what you’d change or keep on the list. Thank you in advance everyone and happy reefing

Tank Needs

Filter- Aquaclear A610 HOB filter-$35

Heater- Cobalt Neo-Therm- $60

Light- Noopsyche K7 Pro 2- $155

Thermometer- Zacro Digital Display- $7

Wave maker- Fluval CP2 Circulation Pump-$22

Do I need something else for the wave maker to work or does it come with everything?

C287A50D-F327-4197-91F0-D812DFAC053C.jpeg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no right or wrong way to do this so I don't really have any complaints about your list. The wavemaker should be good to go on its own. Where did you get your rocks? Were some of them live/wet when you bought them?

OP
OP
HollyFish

HollyFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no right or wrong way to do this so I don't really have any complaints about your list. The wavemaker should be good to go on its own. Where did you get your rocks? Were some of them live/wet when you bought them?
The rocks are from a LFS here, they were dry so not live

OP
OP
HollyFish

HollyFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id stock two clowns a few easy corals like zoas 1 turbo snail 2 astrea snails 3 nassairrius vibex and a mangrove
In what order would I add those or once I’m cycled I can go ahead with it all? Thanks I advance

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard the opposite mostly. Fish then corals months later
Once the cycle is over its time to add a fish here and there and then once everything is nice and stable add some corals. You can add corals earlier but I wouldn't recommend anything but the easiest soft corals

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Optimal is a subjective term in this hobby. It all has to do with budget, space, time, etc. There's no "wrong way" to do this I'm finding well, there is... it's going in blind which is something you're NOT doing!)

You've got your basic equipment to start. You'll probably get a feel for what you like/don't like as you go along. As long as you are patient and maybe a little conservative at the start, you're not going to outstrip your setup. Once you are cycled, a pair of clowns is the classic start. For good reason too, they're great fish! Hardy and entertaining. Coral can be demanding, aside from stuff like GSP or Xenia. I would wait a couple months for you to get comfortable with managing your parameters. You may find that's where your equipment upgrade might need to happen (or not!) Good luck!

OP
OP
HollyFish

HollyFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess I should reword my question. For a 20 gallon tank, if you had $100 to spend for filtration, what would you buy? For around $200 on the light I’m going with the Hydra 16, I assume that’s my best bang for my buck? Thanks in advance again guys!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 75 47.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 50 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back