• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Horrible LiveAquaria Experience

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Thanos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Diamond Goby jump out of my tank a few months back due to a small whole in the cover which is now fixed and decided to get order a new one this past week through a sale on LiveAquaria, which I always assumed to be one of the most reputable sites for ordering fish online. The fish comes (waited for the deliveryman and took it straight from his hand), and the packing job is downright awful; literally petco and petsmart's in-store packing is better than what they sent. Very small bag and just one small heatpack that was just barely keeping the bag lukewarm, and sure enough the fish was dead on arrival.

I figured this was just a rare screwup on their end and filled out their DOA guarantee, and they sent another one two days later. While this one was packed as you would expect a shipped fish to be packed, after spending an hour acclimating it and introducing it to the tank (with the lights off of course), the fish was blatantly on the verge of death. Slow breathing, hardly any movement, and not even trying to sift sand (which my previous one did instantly upon being added). I hoped it was just stress and so I gave it overnight, and by the following day its condition hadn't improved and it died. Nothing was remotely harassing it and a parameter check showed nothing out of the ordinary, not to mention its a mature 65 gallon and both the fish and corals have been doing very well. Additionally, I have ordered and acclimated shipped fish in the past from other distributors and haven't had any issues.

At this point I just assumed that something must have been wrong with their goby stock, and so I contacted customer support to explain the situation and got pretty much the worst response possible. I was told that I already got "one fish on them" and that they wouldn't be doing anything else to compensate, despite sending one dead fish and one fish on the verge of death. After trying to explain the absurdity of their decision, they gave the value of the fish as store credit (which was $30 out of the $70 it cost after shipping+bagging), cause of course I'm going to try to order from them again after they this experience /s.

Overall I'm just really disgusted by the way this was handled. It always seemed like LiveAquaria was the golden standard for online fish retailers but I seriously have my doubts after this whole experience, especially with them just not standing by their guarantee even though it seems to clearly be their fault.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA has been going downhill for awhile now.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, your experience is no longer the exception but more close to the rule doing business with live aquaria these days (or the past couple years)

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I had a Diamond Goby jump out of my tank a few months back due to a small whole in the cover which is now fixed and decided to get order a new one this past week through a sale on LiveAquaria, which I always assumed to be one of the most reputable sites for ordering fish online.
They have not been a reputable source for a few years now.
Sure they have they have someone that does issue the typical canned responses, but what good is it when the shipping methods have gone down hill so bad that it's difficult to get anything alive.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have had ZERO luck with California facility However. . . 2 months ago I ordered a 4-5" chocolate tang and 4" Lavender tang from Wisconsin facility. They were packed super well, were the size ordered and both ate day 1. I even sent them a compliment note

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had ZERO luck with California facility However. . . 2 months ago I ordered a 4-5" chocolate tang and 4" Lavender tang from Wisconsin facility. They were packed super well, were the size ordered and both ate day 1. I even sent them a compliment note

I don't recall but is the Wisconsin facility Divers Den which handles things a bit differently? When I ordered in the past it was only through DD. I won't do anything through LA side.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I don't recall but is the Wisconsin facility Divers Den which handles things a bit differently? When I ordered in the past it was only through DD. I won't do anything through LA side.
Thats correct and the ONLY reason i ordered these fish from them

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Diamond Watchman Goby and a Orange Spotted Filefish delivered from LA. OSFF was a DD and both came from their Wisconsin location. Triple bagged, heated, acclimated and ate great. On top of that, it shipped back in Feb while Wisconsin had the freezing snowstorm. Unfortunately, my goby got abducted by aliens just the other day. I would order again but the shipping + box fee is a killer. Just my experience recently from the Wisconsin facility. I know I pay more for the fish if it comes from Wisconsin.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think that they are using Quality Marine in Cali anymore…
Doubt that I’ll ever spend another penny with LA !

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had a Diamond Watchman Goby and a Orange Spotted Filefish delivered from LA. OSFF was a DD and both came from their Wisconsin location. Triple bagged, heated, acclimated and ate great. On top of that, it shipped back in Feb while Wisconsin had the freezing snowstorm. Unfortunately, my goby got abducted by aliens just the other day. I would order again but the shipping + box fee is a killer. Just my experience recently from the Wisconsin facility. I know I pay more for the fish if it comes from Wisconsin.
Exact experience I had.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Last time ( a couple years ago) I bought a couple corals from DD in the late fall. There were no storms going on, just cold weather.
My box came and the first thing I noticed was the top of the box was open. Only 1 piece of tape.
They shipped my corals in one of those thin insul bags, and again this was open. It was not taped shut at all.
The box was a large box and so was the bag inside.
My 2 corals were in normal plastic bags with several layers, but they were just rolling around inside with very little to support them. Half dozen or so air pillows. No heat packs in the bag, but I did find a couple under the insul bag against the cardboard box.
Hit the plastic bags with the coral inside with a infrared temp gun and the water was 42 degrees.
This was a replacement order. The previous was pretty much the same, but was delayed. Both corals were doa.
I tried to file a claim but was denied. They did give me a $25 store credit which I used on frozen food ( which took 2 attempts)
So they may hit it once in a while with good success the last 3 of 4 orders were crap.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, don’t put a fish shipped in oxygen through any lengthy acclimation due to pH change and ammonia. Equilibrate temp and then dump into a temp and salinity matched QT/observation tank.

OP
OP
T

Thanos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First one with the poor packing job was from Cali, replacement with the better packing job but poor health was WI but not DD. Maybe there's different standards between the regular stock at WI and the DD stock.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back