Hosting problem

eacass02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns still are not hosting in my 60g cube tank. They have been in there about a month, most of the anemones even longer. They are from Sustainable Aquatics so I'm sure they have never seen an anemone before. I know it can take awhile and I am trying to be patient. But is there such thing as waiting too long? I would hate for them to start hosting the overflow or mag float or something because I waited to long to try and get them use to an anemone. They all open swim throughout the day and sleep on the overflow at night. What is everyone's advice, keep waiting or try one of the multiple techniques i have seen, the tube method, putting a picture up, etc... I don't like causing unneccesary stress so I have left them alone for now hoping they would find them on their own. A couple look like they want to go into one, they are certainly curious about the big guy, but none get very close to any of them. Stupid clowns. Thanks!
IMG_0645.JPEG

OP
OP
E

eacass02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't heard of the ipad trick, i'm guessing something about playing a video of clowns or something? Never thought of that, I have a kindle fire I was using as an apex display i could probably use. Will definitely try that

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have introduced anemones to my tanks a couple of times now. For months my clowns didn't pay any attention to them. Si got a basket and used foam pipe wrap to make floats and put the nem and clowns in for a bit of close up interaction and have had success at getting the clowns to figure out what to do.

My second tank, pictured below, the clowns were in it for a month and a half before I got the nems.

About an hour in the basket, they haven't left the nems since..

PXL_20201018_232348338.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try playing a you tube video of your type of clowns hosting bta.

OP
OP
E

eacass02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do videos really work? No harm in trying so I definitely am going to give it a shot. But it seems crazy to think clowns watch tv and learn what they are supposed to do lol. I like the basket idea too, enclose the space and kind of force them to interact. If all else fails ill try that with a couple of the clowns. The nems are attached to the rocks like no other so it will be difficult to get one off, but im sure i can convince one somewhere to let go. Thanks for the quick replies!

OP
OP
E

eacass02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is super healthy but clowns are much cooler when they host nems I think. Plus down the line when aggression issues start I think it will help the picked on clowns to be able to retreat to less popular nems and still feel protected

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do videos really work? No harm in trying so I definitely am going to give it a shot. But it seems crazy to think clowns watch tv and learn what they are supposed to do lol. I like the basket idea too, enclose the space and kind of force them to interact. If all else fails ill try that with a couple of the clowns. The nems are attached to the rocks like no other so it will be difficult to get one off, but im sure i can convince one somewhere to let go. Thanks for the quick replies!
Yes they do

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never was able to get my clowns to host after 4 months of trying various tactics. Went on vacation and the person taking care of my fish let my eel get a little too hungry.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never was able to get my clowns to host after 4 months of trying various tactics. Went on vacation and the person taking care of my fish let my eel get a little too hungry.
So what happened did the eel eat the fish?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Erin O used a video on her tank and three days later they bta had clowns in them.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what happened did the eel eat the fish?
I had those clowns for 3 years and they were breeding in my big tank but never had an anemone so I tried to put them in the nem tank with the eel but they never hosted after trying for so long I just left them in there. Came back and the female was on the ground and the male has been Mia since so I'm assuming the eel did it.

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As silly as the youtube video trick sounds... it works! I heard it and though "that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Theres no way that actually works" and still found myself sitting on the floor with my phone up to the tank showing them a video. At the time I didnt have an anemone and wanted them to host my hammer. Next day they were hosting!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GaryE 's recommendation is the only way I've EVER been able to get an anemone to host a clownfish.

The anemone needs to be the only thing in the basket, and the fish WILL instinctually seek refuge within 48 hours.

If there are other formations inside the basket the clowns could be attracted away from the anemone.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GaryE 's recommendation is the only way I've EVER been able to get an anemone to host a clownfish.

The anemone needs to be the only thing in the basket, and the fish WILL instinctually seek refuge within 48 hours.

If there are other formations inside the basket the clowns could be attracted away from the anemone.

The times I have used this method, it worked with in hours.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video method sounds like “coincidence” to me...........
Why? We use mirros for traps agression and such. People tape pics to the side tank. Why woudnt a video work?

@Erin O used the video after three days the clowns where in the nem.

I played a video through 2 times and my clown was in the nem.

It works. Not all the time but enough for me to say it works.

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? We use mirros for traps agression and such. People tape pics to the side tank. Why woudnt a video work?

@Erin O used the video after three days the clowns where in the nem.

I played a video through 2 times and my clown was in the nem.

It works. Not all the time but enough for me to say it works.
20201024_172238.jpg
20201014_190802.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 138 74.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back