Hot Summer Days!!

corbinwaltz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my tanks only 34 gallons and I only run T-5's over it, I figure there is no need to really buy a chiller for it. That usually work perfectly fine for me, but for about 2 weeks every summer, I've seen my tank go as high as 85 degrees! I feel its really unnecessary to go a buy a chiller for a problem that only effects the tank for a couple days during the year.

Is there any other solution to my problem? Ice cubes? Fans?

reefanatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fans would help. if it's just a short period of time though you could fill a 20 oz soda bottle about 3/4 full with RO/DI water, let it freeze then just float it in the tank. That way even if it leaks it's just a little rodi water...

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fans work great. A little fan from Wally World will cost you like 8-10 bucks. Put it on a timer with your lights and even if it makes the tamp a little low if you have a heater it will kick on before it drops to far. I live in Florida. It has been 95+ for a month now. Granted I keep my apartment at 73 but I have a 28 gallon with a 150MH sitting about 3 inches off the top of my tank. The tank is open top with a small little fan blowing right across the top of the water. I have never seen the tank go above 79, that is where I keep my heater set at. The fan is on when the lights are on.

helfrichgolby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in so cal. My buddy has a 100 gallon and it gets about 100 degrees indoors last few weeks, he is surviving with 3 nano fans. Going as high as 80-81

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 42.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back