How’s ur seneye??

waxhawreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know BRS did their review in the seneye for a nice par meter, in their mind , but then I read some of the reviews and they are not good, is this just like one of those- sometimes u get a good one and sometimes u get a !! I mean Vertex skimmers, expensive built well but allot of views with tons of problems, like the old saying- never buy a car that was built on a Friday or a Monday!! Guys were either looking towards the weekend or hungover from the weekend, I know that’s an old saying, but I’m old!!

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes you have to know the limits of a product to properly review a product. in the case of the Seneye, if I recall, it best captures light that is coming from a source directly perpendicular to the sensor. The Apogee has a domed sensor and can capture light better from a source other than directly above it. I'm not going to comment on those having issues with the Vertex skimmers other than stating that each skimmer is identical. Therefore, you only have to look at the other variables that change from user to user to find the problem. Those having issues should contact @VertexSupport.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Apogee 510 and even it has some issue. These are cheap (for what they are), hobby-grade tools. They are not $5,000 or $10,000 and very helpful, IMO. I am glad that I have my Apogee 510, but you really need to be consistent with it to get results that you can compare well.

AQD-Seneye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seneyes light meter is probably one of the most reviewed and scrutinized products much to do with the surprise in cost and significant accuracy. Nearly all if not all reviews really do come out in Seneyes favour often showing accuracy above and beyond units 10x the price. when you then consider the additional features such as the 24/7 tracking of ph temp and Ammonia the Seneye becomes an even more powerful tool and only for $199.

R2R is luckily to have a good number of Seneye carrying dealers also

Aqua Cave
Aquarium Specialty
BRS
Marine depot
Premium aquatics
Saltwateraquriums

Please stop by at our forum where we can discuss everyones questions you may have.

Many thanks for creating this thread and talking openly about Seneye
All the best
Michael
FAOB Seneye

OP
OP
waxhawreefer

waxhawreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seneyes light meter is probably one of the most reviewed and scrutinized products much to do with the surprise in cost and significant accuracy. Nearly all if not all reviews really do come out in Seneyes favour often showing accuracy above and beyond units 10x the price. when you then consider the additional features such as the 24/7 tracking of ph temp and Ammonia the Seneye becomes an even more powerful tool and only for $199.

R2R is luckily to have a good number of Seneye carrying dealers also

Aqua Cave
Aquarium Specialty
BRS
Marine depot
Premium aquatics
Saltwateraquriums

Please stop by at our forum where we can discuss everyones questions you may have.

Many thanks for creating this thread and talking openly about Seneye
All the best
Michael
FAOB Seneye

Thx for responding, I didn’t even know there was a forum for the seneye, I’m always skeptical when something doesn’t cost allot and gives u what y pay for, I’m just looking for my general par measurements for my reef, then I look at the reviews and non were good, I just didn’t want to waste more money and get aggravated if it didn’t work!!

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim Wijgerde (European coral scientist) sent me some PAR comparisons between Seneye and LiCor PAR meters and the results were favorable. The Seneye device is not cosine-corrected, but this should make too much of a difference if the light source is directly above the sensor. As for Kelvin, I checked a light source of known K with the Seneye, and it was right on the money (although proper positioning is important - the sensor must be parallel to the light source, as Greg mentioned earlier.) For budget conscious hobbyists, the Seneye is of good value. I've got a product review partially written but fulfilling commitments for speaking engagements are eating up a lot of my time - they seem to come in groups of 3.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One needs to think of it like a tool of getting consistency rather than pure accuracy.
..say if you want exact number reading you would need to spend $$$$$$

I use it solely for light reading to guage where I am vs. Coral response vs. Light height, settings etc..
It does a pretty darn good job to maintain the balance.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim Wijgerde (European coral scientist) sent me some PAR comparisons between Seneye and LiCor PAR meters and the results were favorable. The Seneye device is not cosine-corrected, but this should make too much of a difference if the light source is directly above the sensor. As for Kelvin, I checked a light source of known K with the Seneye, and it was right on the money (although proper positioning is important - the sensor must be parallel to the light source, as Greg mentioned earlier.) For budget conscious hobbyists, the Seneye is of good value. I've got a product review partially written but fulfilling commitments for speaking engagements are eating up a lot of my time - they seem to come in groups of 3.
Correction - The Seneye is not cosine-corrected, but this should *not* make too much difference...

AQD-Seneye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everyones comments about Seneye.

here is a link to the support forum, its here you will find lists of dealers and any deals currently on offer (one starts Tuesday!!! So please bookmark the forum)
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/aqd_seneye.1019/

Through support and reading some reviews there is a direct pattern of outcome. firstly the average hobbyist does struggle a bit with what they are reading and then go on forums to try and get some understanding, multiple replies then can lead to frustration and the tool in question gets the blame= bad review. Having said that I personally have seen very few bad reviews which has a lot to do with Seneyes success.

The interesting reviews are from the hobbysists that have studied lighting and have a firm grasp of what to expect (many of the replies here fall into this catagory). Its these reviews (again as per this thread) that really give the accurate picture of the device.

The majority of reef keepers just need an accurate snap shot and Seneye provides an amazing interface for this. I find the most useful reading not being PAR but actually PUR which is the usable light output for growth measured in % PUR gives the lights output growth potential. I do not even think apogee for $2k offers you this? maybe wrong?

In a nut shell, just be aware when looking at reviews, who is writing it and what true knowledge of spectral output the person really has.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a great value for the device and what it can do. I purchased it as a PAR meter alone with no intention of using its monitoring abilities, but have since realized that the ability to monitor Ammonia in a QT is awesome. It's worth the cost of a slide if I'm running fish through QT.

JoeKelley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to borrow an Seneye from a local reefer and have positive results. Like stated its a tool with limitations and is for informational use. Example my LED after changes in lens and diffuser was putting out much more than needed and burned some corals, after seneye readings and adjustments corals recovered and are growing again with less watts output. I wish I had a wand that held it, it really does need to be 90 degrees to the light source.

Joe

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my unit; was using it for monitoring as I bought a few slides, but now really only for temperature since it's spring and PH will no longer be an issue that winter is behind us and some windows can open up.

I do feel the PAR readings are pretty spot on and awesome though; it was a priceless tool to use when I re-dialed in my LED's after I added the T5's.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back