How a $1.25 jar of mayo helped solve my nutrient issues

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the simplest, cheapest pieces of equipment can have the biggest and most surprising impact on a system...

In my case it was the combination of Seachem De-Nitrate and a $1.25 jar of mayo.

When I set up my system, I used aqua-cultured Walt Smith 2.0 live rock along with a shallow sand bed of 2". It was loaded with life and I loved it (still do).

Being a noob though (it was my first tank), I failed to realize that the man-made rock lacks the volume of micro-pores needed for the anaerobic bacteria that fully process nitrates. So, for ~10 months I struggled to keep nitrates below 15 ppm.

Overall the tank health was good, but I did have occassional outbreaks of a bit of green cyano-like algae on the sand (I now suspect it was a spirulina strain).

Realizing I needed the help of anaerobic bacteria, I added some De-Nitrate in a mesh bag to my sump. 3 months later, still no noticeable impact on nitrate levels.

Digging a little deeper I realized I wasn't using the De-Nitrate properly. Reading the directions closer I discovered Seachem recommends 25-50 gph flow through it for maximum benefit.

Enter the surprising savior: a $1.20 jar of mayo.

It was the cheapest jar of mayo on the grocery store shelf. Didn't eat the mayo (it was lousy tasting uber-cheap stuff) but was really only after the jar anyway.

Used a the plastic jar, a bit of left over PVC, and some JB Marine weld I had to make a nitrate reactor.

Plumbed it off my return with an inline valve to limit flow to 30 ghp, dropped in some De-Nitrate (along with a bit of carbon and Phosguard in a mesh bag for safe measure), and let 'er run.

Within 7 days my nitrates dropped to 1 ppm and have remained there ever since.

nitrate-reactor-with-media-360x480.jpg

nitrate-reactor-in-sump-360x480.jpg

Been a year and still working like a charm.

Just got back from a 25 day trip last week. Had the skimmer off the entire time and the tank was still clean as can be ... with nitrates ~1 ppm ... when I returned home.

That little jar with De-nitrate in it has been one of the most beneficial pieces of equipment in my entire setup.

What has your most surprisingly beneficial pieces of equipment been?

OP
OP
malacoda

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mayo or Miracle Whip?

Mayo. Should gotten Miracle Whip though ... or at least a top-shelf mayo, would've enjoyed the contents that way rather than washing 'em down the drain. Then again, it probably would've taken me a good month or two to empty the jar ... not sure I'd have had the patience to wait. :)

Wow, I'm impressed. Can you tell us about your tank?

24g Landen (ADA-knock-off):
  • Marine Depot Nano overflow box
  • two-chamber sump
  • Tunze 9004 skimmer (haven't run it ~7 weeks though) and Eheim heater in skimmer chamber
  • Sicce syncra silent 1.0 return pump and the homemade mayo-jar nitrate reactor in the return chamber
  • filter floss between the two baffles
  • GHL Mitras 7602 light
  • GHL Doser 2.1 dosing alk, ca, ESV Transition Elements, and ATO (triggered by GHL optical sensor)
  • Tunze nanostream 6040 in DT
Citizens of the 24g kingdom:
  • blackline fang blenny (Ombré)
  • pink streaked wrasse (Buddy)
  • tailspot blenny (Dot)
  • yellow assessor (Ray)
  • assorted Astrea snails, a blacklined trochus, red hermit, a few dwarf zebra hermits, a small gorilla crab or two, and a Caribbean tigertail cucumber
Corals:
  • Neon green toadstool leather
  • 2 alveoporas: a purple, and a green
  • neon green paly and cheap zoas including orange bambams, pink-ring dragon eyes, whammin watermelons, and one or two others I can't remember the name of
  • meteor shower and some other cyphastrea
  • 2 platygyra: a neon green/black and a neon green/blue
  • red and green war coral
  • purple stylophora
  • pink/purple styloceonella and electric blue styloceonella
  • ice blue leptoseris
  • red digitata
  • pink monti cap
  • orange seriatopora
  • lime porites
  • two small millepora frags that are barely hanging on (had a bit of alk spike a couple months back)
  • one yellow millepora that was just added last weekend
I'll try to get an FTS up tomorrow (don't have a recent one on hand).

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a tank for the purpose of keeping animals alive, and the aesthetics don't matter at all. Is it possible to use Matrix and de*nitrate in place of rock all together?

OP
OP
malacoda

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a tank for the purpose of keeping animals alive, and the aesthetics don't matter at all. Is it possible to use Matrix and de*nitrate in place of rock all together?

I honestly don't know. I would think so, rock is rock as long as it's porous enough to support both the aerobic and anaerobic bacteria needed. But it may take quite a bit to get the needed aerobic surface area. You might want to review the detailed descriptions, and instructions for both Matrix and De-Nitrate at the Seachem website. From the info there you can see how much of either is recommended per gallon, calculate how much you would for the tank size you have in mind, then estimate what size container/cannister you would need to run it to get proper flow through it.

Another possible option would be something like Brightwell bio-bricks or bio-blocks, or some similar type of product.

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't know. I would think so, rock is rock as long as it's porous enough to support both the aerobic and anaerobic bacteria needed. But it may take quite a bit to get the needed aerobic surface area. You might want to review the detailed descriptions, and instructions for both Matrix and De-Nitrate at the Seachem website. From the info there you can see how much of either is recommended per gallon, calculate how much you would for the tank size you have in mind, then estimate what size container/cannister you would need to run it to get proper flow through it.

Another possible option would be something like Brightwell bio-bricks or bio-blocks, or some similar type of product.

Thanks for the reply. I just looked up bio-bricks. I don't have any experience with them. As a warning though, people say they turn to mud. I might revisit concrete rock.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the simplest, cheapest pieces of equipment can have the biggest and most surprising impact on a system...

In my case it was the combination of Seachem De-Nitrate and a $1.25 jar of mayo.

When I set up my system, I used aqua-cultured Walt Smith 2.0 live rock along with a shallow sand bed of 2". It was loaded with life and I loved it (still do).

Being a noob though (it was my first tank), I failed to realize that the man-made rock lacks the volume of micro-pores needed for the anaerobic bacteria that fully process nitrates. So, for ~10 months I struggled to keep nitrates below 15 ppm.

Overall the tank health was good, but I did have occassional outbreaks of a bit of green cyano-like algae on the sand (I now suspect it was a spirulina strain).

Realizing I needed the help of anaerobic bacteria, I added some De-Nitrate in a mesh bag to my sump. 3 months later, still no noticeable impact on nitrate levels.

Digging a little deeper I realized I wasn't using the De-Nitrate properly. Reading the directions closer I discovered Seachem recommends 25-50 gph flow through it for maximum benefit.

Enter the surprising savior: a $1.20 jar of mayo.

It was the cheapest jar of mayo on the grocery store shelf. Didn't eat the mayo (it was lousy tasting uber-cheap stuff) but was really only after the jar anyway.

Used a the plastic jar, a bit of left over PVC, and some JB Marine weld I had to make a nitrate reactor.

Plumbed it off my return with an inline valve to limit flow to 30 ghp, dropped in some De-Nitrate (along with a bit of carbon and Phosguard in a mesh bag for safe measure), and let 'er run.

Within 7 days my nitrates dropped to 1 ppm and have remained there ever since.

nitrate-reactor-with-media-360x480.jpg

nitrate-reactor-in-sump-360x480.jpg

Been a year and still working like a charm.

Just got back from a 25 day trip last week. Had the skimmer off the entire time and the tank was still clean as can be ... with nitrates ~1 ppm ... when I returned home.

That little jar with De-nitrate in it has been one of the most beneficial pieces of equipment in my entire setup.

What has your most surprisingly beneficial pieces of equipment been?

I by accident filled a 5 gallon Homedepot bucket, bottom open, filled with non-scented cat litter( crushed clay), on lid plumbed a hose barb 3/4id to a pump. All sitting inside my refugium and came to be a deep sand bed filter. Works great. 10mo. So far.

OP
OP
malacoda

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kitty litter DSB ... that is pretty darn nifty. And no doubt a good deal cheaper than buying sand (unless you live near a beach).

Anyone else have any interesting or unusual equipment creations or discoveries?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back