How about these lights?

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have a 2' x 2' SC Aquarium PNP. It is currently a fowler and is getting 9 watts of light over it via an aqueon modular 24" light that I had lying around.

Honestly I just mostly want some corny features, such as the ramp up/ramp down at sunrise. Throw in some lighting storms and clouds and you have my attention.

I'm thinking I can start trying to introduce some coraline algea in the tank.

Maybe some think like this? Maybe I can start looking at some beginner corals.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Branching-...205049?hash=item2ce1e160f9:g:hGgAAOSwtcRcH4Nm

What do you think? Yay or nay?

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a couple shots of my tanks from a couple of days ago. No signs of any growth at all as far as algea, diatoms, etc. Maybe I should just keep it like this? Seems like low wattage lighting may make things easier for me as I potetionally won't have many algea related issues? Or is this not true?

20190125_185819.jpg

20190122_192444.jpg

20190125_184932.jpg

20190122_192501.jpg

20190125_181411.jpg

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems more like a fresh water tank light. Not a full spectrum light. Coralline algae isn’t a problem to grow because it doesn’t require intense light, but flow and ideal water parameters are advantageous to growing it. You could grow some soft corals, sponges, gorgonians and a few LPS corals but I would think you would be having a difficult time with more light loving LPS and SPS corals and Clams.
Check out the AI Prime HD pendant! You can grow anything with this light plus control various color schemes, lightning phases, intensity of each color LED and acclimation periods.
Algae growth and light is only part of the equation. Nitrates, phosphates, diatoms, silica, low water flow also need to be addressed to rid algae. Algae is a way of life and with every new tank set up comes algae growth. It’s not a question of IF but WHEN will it start to bloom.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having read and following so far 38 pages of THIS thread. I'd get the Noopsyche K7 Pro II for $247 includes light, mount and controller. They are equivalent to a Radion XR15 G4 Pro for less money, they don't have the thunderstorm feature of the Radions though if that's what you want get those. I have one Radion XR15 G4 Pro, haven't used it yet so can't comment on lightning feature.
Also I noticed THESE for sale today, if I had the money today I would've grabbed one but they sold out.
However they do have the non bluetooth version still at 50% off. HERE

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems more like a fresh water tank light. Not a full spectrum light. Coralline algae isn’t a problem to grow because it doesn’t require intense light, but flow and ideal water parameters are advantageous to growing it. You could grow some soft corals, sponges, gorgonians and a few LPS corals but I would think you would be having a difficult time with more light loving LPS and SPS corals and Clams.
Check out the AI Prime HD pendant! You can grow anything with this light plus control various color schemes, lightning phases, intensity of each color LED and acclimation periods.
Algae growth and light is only part of the equation. Nitrates, phosphates, diatoms, silica, low water flow also need to be addressed to rid algae. Algae is a way of life and with every new tank set up comes algae growth. It’s not a question of IF but WHEN will it start to bloom.

Whoa, slow down there buddy! You lost me at sponge haha. I don't know hardly anything about corals yet except that SPS are demanding and require high light and dosing calcium? And maybe a good supply of nitrates. That could be wrong haha. I intentionally have stayed away from researching too much about corals to keep me from wanting to get them too soon. I like that the light can grow anything as my plan of attack will be start with the easiest things to take care of and go from there. I like the form factor and the cost of that light as well.

I see that it has a ceiling mount option for $20. I'd probably want to try and go that way, so I don't have to worry about trying to cut up my lid or have to get a custom lid made.

I like that it can be controlled by the phone and it has the ramp up/ramp down and I assume it can be set on a schedule. Right Now I am manually flipping on our tank lights in the morning and back off at night which will not be sustainable long term, but it has been fun to wake the fish up and put them to bed so far.

I've heard of phosphates and I tested 0 on the API test kit so far, but I think the resolution of the kit is probably lacking for what one needs to know on a reef tank? How do phosphates play into growing corals? How are they introduced and removed?

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having read and following so far 38 pages of THIS thread. I'd get the Noopsyche K7 Pro II for $247 includes light, mount and controller. They are equivalent to a Radion XR15 G4 Pro for less money, they don't have the thunderstorm feature of the Radions though if that's what you want get those. I have one Radion XR15 G4 Pro, haven't used it yet so can't comment on lightning feature.
Also I noticed THESE for sale today, if I had the money today I would've grabbed one but they sold out.
However they do have the non bluetooth version still at 50% off. HERE

I was also looking into the N... K7 Pro II lights earlier. I don't know man I think @Coralreefer1 sold me on the AI Prime HD. Going to watch some videos on it right now. It probably doesn't do the corny thunderstorm show but that's OK. My son's tank has that and we've tried it one time. I just like gimicky things sometimes.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also let me ask you this. Let's say I stay with my current light. Or let's say this, I go with ambient light. Will algea likely still grow? Just trying to weigh my options here as it seems Algea can be tough to manage depending on the species and what not.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also let me ask you this. Let's say I stay with my current light. Or let's say this, I go with ambient light. Will algea likely still grow? Just trying to weigh my options here as it seems Algea can be tough to manage depending on the species and what not.
The more white the light looks to your eye the more prone to nusanance algae growing you become. Which is why that guy said it looks like a freshwater setup, freshwater people want green algaes to some extent.
Coraline algae grows best under actinic(blue) light/spectrum, and that’s the purple cool algae you want.
The lightning storms just scare fish so your not missing much there lol.
Prime hd will be perfect.

Coraline growing 202: keeping your alkalinity, magnesium and calcium stable. This will be the next set of stuff for you to test for. It’s essential to coral health and needs to not fluctuate in order for coraline to grow and keep growing and not randomly die.
People generally recommend salifert or Red Sea test kits for these due to the accuracy of the tests being of paramount importance.
You want them to pretty much stay the same as what your salt mixes out to. I keep mine at 9.5alk 460 cal 1350mag

Don’t worry to much about phosphates yet, once you start seeing green or brown stuff on your glass/rocks test for it. I JUST started doing something yesterday to start controlling my phosphates on my newish tank’s 7 month mark. Your feeding a conservative amount from your posts which is smart. Phosphates usually gets really high when people use a lot of pellet foods and Reef Roids(very beneficial in small doses)

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also looking into the N... K7 Pro II lights earlier. I don't know man I think @Coralreefer1 sold me on the AI Prime HD. Going to watch some videos on it right now. It probably doesn't do the corny thunderstorm show but that's OK. My son's tank has that and we've tried it one time. I just like gimicky things sometimes.
Over a 24 by 24 tank the ai prime will have a lot limits on what you can grow. The one puck design also crates a lot of shadowing, k7 would be your best bet. But if you really like ai the hydra 26 would be what I would do.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an EcoTech Marine Vortex! I can tell by the controller! Top of the line propeller pump, however it will set you back about $350.

Yeah, I saw that. Was wondering if it's the mp10 or mp40. If I put one behind the tank like this then I wouldn't mind shelling out the cash to have the cables hidden out of the water. Looks very neat and clean. I'm a bit of a clean freak/OCD. Lol.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over a 24 by 24 tank the ai prime will have a lot limits on what you can grow. The one puck design also crates a lot of shadowing, k7 would be your best bet. But if you really like ai the hydra 26 would be what I would do.

Honestly thinking about it I may just get a RADION XR30W G4 PRO or maybe the AI Hydra 52. That way I can be within the recommended manufactures spread. The XR15W G4 Pro and the AI Hydra 32 are both only recommended for 18 x 18 and maximum spread of 24 x 24 according to BRS.

I'll have to think about it more but the AI would be easier to setup and the Radion would likely be more reliable. I've read a lot about the AI lights failing and AI denying warranty claims saying that the lights had excess water damage or something along those lines.

This way I can grow anything I wanted, even though I'd want to start with the easiest corals.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly thinking about it I may just get a RADION XR30W G4 PRO or maybe the AI Hydra 52. That way I can be within the recommended manufactures spread. The XR15W G4 Pro and the AI Hydra 32 are both only recommended for 18 x 18 and maximum spread of 24 x 24 according to BRS.

I'll have to think about it more but the AI would be easier to setup and the Radion would likely be more reliable. I've read a lot about the AI lights failing and AI denying warranty claims saying that the lights had excess water damage or something along those lines.

This way I can grow anything I wanted, even though I'd want to start with the easiest corals.
Sounds like a good plan. You do have to remember brs wants to make money. I put money that at least some recommendations they have are a bid under exaggerated. Also be sure not to rule out halides or t5s.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan. You do have to remember brs wants to make money. I put money that at least some recommendations they have are a bid under exaggerated. Also be sure not to rule out halides or t5s.

I'm going to look into the K7 Pro II as well. Just haven't had time to look into it yet. Still deciding obviously but just thinking out loud so to speak.

I often go from one extreme to the other. Usually I end up on the expensive side of things lol. I'm not much of a believer in buying lower prices stuff. The whole you get you what you pay for thing always resonates with me. My other half is the opposite. I always tell her if she would stop buying cheap $*** and buy quality stuff she'd actually save money.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What power head are you running. How do you like it? I like how you mounted it on the back. May try this myself.
Mp10...might add another on the other side yet.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 37 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back