How are my coral’s health looking

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

My tank is about 3 months old (since cycled), and like many reefers, it’s had ups and downs. I started keeping some coral frags around 4 weeks ago. Now, to my somewhat untrained eye, ai think they all look healthy, but I had a lovely 2 headed green frog spawn die on me in about 10 days. I tried it in a couple of places (mid tank, then sand level) incase it was getting too much light, but it never seemed to help.

Is it possible that my tank isn’t “mature” enough to keep certain LPS yet? All my parameters are within guided ranges nothing abnormal there. I’m dosing All for reef as well. My Red Sea ReefLED 90 peaks at 60% blue and 30% white (I have a Red Sea Reefer 170).

I guess I’m mostly curious on possible causes for one coral to die so quickly, when everything else looks healthy (and they have been in the tank longer).

I did notice that the frogspawn frag had a large amount of epoxy on it, (from the LFS) which went quite far up the skeleton; is it possible that it somehow strangled/suffocated it? (See photos).

IMG_8909.jpeg
IMG_8908.jpeg

I’ve included photos of my other frags which all seem healthy, apologies for the blue light, but the full white lights seem to stress out my fish, and I just nursed them all back from Flukes and a 6 week fallow!

Appreciate any thoughts/perspectives IMG_8907.jpeg IMG_8906.jpeg IMG_8905.jpeg IMG_8903.jpeg IMG_8901.jpeg IMG_8900.jpeg IMG_8899.jpeg IMG_8902.jpeg

Last edited:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just take your time. The corals look OK to me, but in the blue light it's a bit hard to see. As for the coral that died, impossible to say, but it happens to everybody once and a while.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At three months your tank is unstable and far from mature. You will experience a variety of ugly phases the first year and combined with parameters instability will result in coral losses especially euphyllia.

What are your complete current parameters? What lights do you use and the tank par? What flow?

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy it with the epoxy the way it was? That is not normal.

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy it with the epoxy the way it was? That is not normal.
Yes, as I said in the post, the LFS sold it to me like that. I only use a small amount of fish safe super glue to attach my coral frag plugs to my rock scape, they had used the epoxy to a attach it to a frag plug. I didn’t realise it until I got it home, or I wouldn’t have bought it tbh!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks ok to me although the lights are a little blue for the pictures

Some corals like the frogspawn might struggle for many reasons in particular flow or because they just dont like change so….

A set of water parameters would also be helpful

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, as I said in the post, the LFS sold it to me like that. I only use a small amount of fish safe super glue to attach my coral frag plugs to my rock scape, they had used the epoxy to a attach it to a frag plug. I didn’t realise it until I got it home, or I wouldn’t have bought it tbh!
With that much epoxy on it, the skeletal structure splintered when they fragged that piece and they glued it back together to try and save it.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, as I said in the post, the LFS sold it to me like that. I only use a small amount of fish safe super glue to attach my coral frag plugs to my rock scape, they had used the epoxy to an attach it to a frag plug. I didn’t realise it until I got it home, or I wouldn’t have bought it tbh!
Ok. They may have been hiding an imperfection or “gluing it together”. I agree with others that 3mos is a little premature but it may have been doomed before you purchased it.

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thanks everyone; lesson learned, I’ll know to look out for something like that in future. Will give euphyllia another shot in a few more months.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back