How are my corals?

Marcus Rogers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to this whole coral thing, probably should have researched a little more before I went out and bought some lol. But I bought a torch coral about a week ago and I think its doing great in my tank. Today I bought a hammer coral and I am not feeling 100% confident that it is doing that great. Here are some pics:
IMG_1441.jpeg IMG_1438.jpeg IMG_1440.jpeg It looks like the skeleton is showing on the hammer coral but when the lights are on, the skeleton is no longer visible or its hard to see...

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The torch looks great and the middle head of the hammer looks good. But the outer heads don’t. How long have u had it

Jilet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to see the skeleton when the lights are on is cause the polyps extend and covers the skeleton and shrink when lights are off.. keep an eye on it, usually when lps polyps extend when the lights are on is a good thing, start worrying if the polyps dont extend and all u see is skeleton even when the lights are on. Good luck..

OP
OP
M

Marcus Rogers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to see the skeleton when the lights are on is cause the polyps extend and covers the skeleton and shrink when lights are off.. keep an eye on it, usually when lps polyps extend when the lights are on is a good thing, start worrying if the polyps dont extend and all u see is skeleton even when the lights are on. Good luck..

I mean I bought the coral today, should I try and return it??

OP
OP
M

Marcus Rogers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the hammer look at the store?

I mean I thought the hammer looked good at the store but now thinking about it I don't really remember examining it that much.. lol What causes the skeleton to show? I don't really know what to do and if I happened to buy a "sick" (idk a better word) coral I would want to return it lol

Jilet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well skeleton will show if the flesh is receding, meaning its not doing good. But its hard to tell from your pic if the hammer flesh is receding or if its just frightened from being in a new tank.. any flesh on the skeleton?

OP
OP
M

Marcus Rogers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well skeleton will show if the flesh is receding, meaning its not doing good. But its hard to tell from your pic if the hammer flesh is receding or if its just frightened from being in a new tank.. any flesh on the skeleton?
IMG_1442.jpeg
Here is another picture with the lights off... Im not sure if the flesh is on the skeleton but if i had to guess I would say yes.

hyla84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's ok, it will we be great in a couple of days. Just be careful on the flow

Jilet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeh looks good, as long as the hammers are out about you are good.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just give it some more time to acclimate. If they dont start to come out a bit more you may want to try and move them to a different spot. I had to move mine to a lower flow area when I first got them, now they are in medium flow and are pretty big.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back