How Are You Dosing Mag?

usfpaul82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So wondering who everyone doses magnesium. I currently run two part from BRS using BRS 1.1ml dosers. I have them dosing 4 times throughout the day on my RKE. I keep my ALK at 9.5 and my CA at 430 and i have my dosing amount dialed in just right. To be honest, i never really messed with adding mag, i just let my water changes do the work, but I would like to start keeping my mag stable as well. So do you guys use a doser for this? it seems like it would require very little daily dosing. Does mag usually get depleting enough to warrent a daily dose?

For those that do dose it, how much do you usually go through in a day, or how much does your tank go through in a day?

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way mine stays I don't have to dose it. It stays around 1500 (salifert tests) plus with weekly water changes it doesn't really get the chance to drop so I only dose Alk and Ca. I've seen it drop to 1400 once and that was going an entire month without water changes. Mag usually doesn't require daily dosing. Usually people dose Alk and Ca all month and then dose Mg monthly but every tank is different. I test all 3 weekly. I only have a couple of zoo / paly colonies and several LPS in the tank at the moment.

Last edited:

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose using a 5-3 (cups) ratio of magnesium chloride to magnesium sulfate to a gallon of water and dose based on the reef chemistry calculator (google search this).

Everyones tank is different, some people are fine with water changes, others need to dose magnesium on a monthly basis. I've never heard of anyone that needed to dose on a daily basis.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use dolomite in my Calcium reactor, use Kalk+2 in my kalk reactor (contains Mg) and supplement with BRS magnesium as needed. Between the dolomite, kalk, & water changes I rarely have to supplement to maintain proper levels.

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose MG with a doser, dialuted with RO, the reason is I have some large mangroves in my system and they eat MG like I eat .........
steak.jpg

blackx-runner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also dose with BRS 2 part. My mag holds at 1350 with water changes, so I don't worry about dosing it.

Steven R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I have to I use brightwell magnesion.. Nice and easy.. But I use brightwell salt so I have only had to dose one time and it was when I was being lazy with the water changes.

AJreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to add a little magnesium to my water changes to keep the new water in the 1400 range. Other than that I have not seen a need to dose magnesium regularly as I only has a few smaller frags currently.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back