How bad is 0.01 PPM Copper?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So Triton reports I have 10 microgram/Liter Copper in my temporary system. I googled a converter and that shows me it translates to 0.01 PPM

How bad is it and what's the best way to remove it from about 300 Gallons of water?

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to remove it is frequent water changes and running carbon.

As for if that level is too high I am not sure. There is a trace amount of copper that can help corals but I can't remember how what that amount is.

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to remove copper add Cuprisorb (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-bad-is-0-01-ppm-copper.811855/). Cuprisorb has good selectivity for copper vs other cations (Na+, Ca2+), but may deplete some of your other trace elements, so continue water changes to replace any depleted trace elements.

There is a lot of misinformation on the web in terms of copper levels in natural seawater. Many hobbyist including myself looked to this Stanford webpage since its the first one that Google finds when you search (https://web.stanford.edu/group/Urchin/mineral.html), but Randy says this is wrong for many elements including copper and the natural levels are much lower. Please see the following thread for an animated discussion: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/help-icp-test-shows-copper.715565/#post-7409590

Copper is an essential tracer element, but microorganisms apparently can scavenge the nearly undetectable amounts found in seawater (the same applies to iron).

Last edited:
OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
What does Triton say is the corrective action if any?

Identify source of contamination and use Triton Detox. They say to remove carbon and phosphate remover, add 3ml/100L of detox, replace carbon after 3 days and discard after 7 days.

Does anyone have any experience with Triton DETOX?

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
If you want to remove copper add Cuprisorb (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-bad-is-0-01-ppm-copper.811855/). Cuprisorb has good selectivity for copper vs other cations (Na+, Ca2+), but may deplete some of your other trace elements, so continue water changes to replace any depleted trace elements.

There is a lot of misinformation on the web in terms of copper levels in natural seawater. Many hobbyist including myself looked to this Stanford webpage since its the first one that Google finds when you search (https://web.stanford.edu/group/Urchin/mineral.html), but Randy says this is wrong for many elements including copper and the natural levels are much lower. Please see the following thread for an animated discussion: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/help-icp-test-shows-copper.715565/#post-7409590

Copper is an essential tracer element, but microorganisms apparently can scavenge the nearly undetectable amounts found in seawater (the same applies to iron).

Thanks, I just bought cuprisorb which is on the way. This is a no-water changes system that houses easy to keep softies only so I guess water changes will have to be done to replenish some of these trace elements that cuprisorb can adversely absorb.

Do I have to watch anything else like alk or pH being affected with curpisorb?

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Copusorb or polyflter?

Also why do you have .01 ppm copper in your tank in the first place?

I did run Polyfilter a while back but it didn't change any specific color as the instructions would suggest. It just turned brown as it filled with muck.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The best way to remove it is frequent water changes and running carbon.

As for if that level is too high I am not sure. There is a trace amount of copper that can help corals but I can't remember how what that amount is.

Does carbon really remove copper?

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The polyfilter could have removed some copper, but it doesn't change color until it has absorbed a lot of heavy metals (the color is from the complexed metal). I don't think carbon will remove copper; however, it might remove 'chelated copper' since this is bound to an organic molecule that can be absorbed by carbon. Cuprisorb uses a different chemical group (I suspect a imidodiacetic acid group) than Polyfilter (uses a polyethylenimine) to bind metals that I believe is much more effective for copper.

I can't find any information on Cuprisorb or any resin on how much it impacts trace elements, but I suspect it would deplete zinc and manganese somewhat. I don't think you need to do large water changes, just enough to replenish these trace elements, which are present at extremely low levels in natural seawater.

Your initial question was how bad is 0.01 ppm copper. This is a pretty low level in my opinion, yet certainly higher than natural seawater. Invertebrates are pretty sensitive to copper, so if they're living and even thriving, then I would suspect 0.01 ppm is not problematic in the short-term, but I do think it's wise to remove copper in the long-term.

Lastly, I don't think Cuprisorb will impact pH or alkalinity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The polyfilter could have removed some copper, but I don' think it changes color until it has absorbed a lot of heavy metals (the color is from the complexed metal). I don't think carbon will remove copper, but might remove 'chelated copper' since this is bound to an organic molecule that will likely bind to carbon. Cuprisorb uses a different chemical group (I suspect a imidodiacetic acid group) than the Polyfilter (uses a polyethylenimine) to bind metals that is much more effective for copper.

I can't find any information on Cuprisorb or any resin on how much it impacts trace elements, but I suspect it would deplete zinc and manganese somewhat. I don't think you need to do large water changes, just enough to replenish these trace elements, which are present at extremely low levels in natural seawater.

Your initial question was how bad is 0.01 ppm copper. This is a pretty low level, but higher than natural seawater. Invertebrates are pretty sensitive to copper, so if they're living and even thriving, then I would suspect 0.01 ppm is not problematic in the short-term, but I do think it's wise to remove copper in the long-term. It might be slowly leaching out of something, so you might want to keep the Cuprisorb in for a while.

Thank you much for such an extensive explanation. Appreciated!

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used cuprasorb numerous times. Great results. if your tank looks good I wouldn’t worry. My last copper issue was from my ro/di unit. However it was showing 0 tds. ATI water test caught it. New membranes, filters and di resin and problem fixed. Check prob holder magnets, wires and your heater. Good luck.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The polyfilter could have removed some copper, but it doesn't change color until it has absorbed a lot of heavy metals (the color is from the complexed metal). I don't think carbon will remove copper; however, it might remove 'chelated copper' since this is bound to an organic molecule that can be absorbed by carbon. Cuprisorb uses a different chemical group (I suspect a imidodiacetic acid group) than Polyfilter (uses a polyethylenimine) to bind metals that I believe is much more effective for copper.

Your initial question was how bad is 0.01 ppm copper. This is a pretty low level in my opinion, yet certainly higher than natural seawater. Invertebrates are pretty sensitive to copper, so if they're living and even thriving, then I would suspect 0.01 ppm is not problematic in the short-term, but I do think it's wise to remove copper in the long-term.

Yeah, I want to pull all the bad stuff out as I get ready to transfer a lot of the stuff into a new tank. My worry is transferring anything bad with LR to the new tank. Idea is to absorb most of it out of the system.

If I dont transfer a lot of the water should I worry about anything absorbed into live rock?

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I want to pull all the bad stuff out as I get ready to transfer a lot of the stuff into a new tank. My worry is transferring anything bad with LR to the new tank. Idea is to absorb most of it out of the system.

If I dont transfer a lot of the water should I worry about anything absorbed into live rock?
Metals like copper can certainly bind to rock and slowly leach out. I would keep the cuprisorb in for a while. I'll let others weigh in since I'm still a newbie on this forum - my chemistry is strong, but reef experience is very weak.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used cuprasorb numerous times. Great results. if your tank looks good I wouldn’t worry. My last copper issue was from my ro/di unit. However it was showing 0 tds. ATI water test caught it. New membranes, filters and di resin and problem fixed. Check prob holder magnets, wires and your heater. Good luck.
I’m running cuprisolb for elevated tin and things are going well.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Metals like copper can certainly bind to rock and slowly leach out. I would keep the cuprisorb in for a while. I'll let others weigh in since I'm still a newbie on this forum - my chemistry is strong, but reef experience is very weak.

I'll do a bag of curpisorb and follow with another bag when all removed to catch anything still being released from LR or other sources.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not overly worry about 0.01 ppm (10 ppb) copper. FWIW, I had 10-15 ppb copper in my aquarium water the first time I measured it myself by ICP many years ago, and saw no apparent issues in the tank.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I’m running cuprisolb for elevated tin and things are going well.

Great to hear. All in all, I have elevated Sn, Cu, Ni, Si (ceramic media most likely) and Al (Al based phosphate remover I used to use)

I'll adjust with whatever I can and retest after a month to see how much I've knocked it down or removed.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear. All in all, I have elevated Sn, Cu, Ni, Si (ceramic media most likely) and Al (Al based phosphate remover I used to use)

I'll adjust with whatever I can and retest after a month to see how much I've knocked it down or removed.
It absorbs a lot more than just copper, as far as I can tell it’s basically like a super version of Purigen

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back