Why am I so Bad with GFO

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just was suprised about the dramatic drop with just a fraction of GFO

It is very good at stripping PO4 and quickly. I added two tablespoons in a nylon stocking so it wasn't even tumbling on my tank with approx 45g and PO4 went from 0.4 to 0.0 in 2 days. For me works best when mixed with carbon in a reactor. Sure it doesn't work like as well as it could but IME it's works too well. Mixing it with the carbon seems to be a nice slow reduction not just bottoming out PO4

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very good at stripping PO4 and quickly. I added two tablespoons in a nylon stocking so it wasn't even tumbling on my tank with approx 45g and PO4 went from 0.4 to 0.0 in 2 days. For me works best when mixed with carbon in a reactor. Sure it doesn't work like as well as it could but IME it's works too well. Mixing it with the carbon seems to be a nice slow reduction not just bottoming out PO4
ya. i had just a small amount in a bag (low flow area). But other's said, I am leaning more on a timing/testing issue.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure that timing makes much of a difference on PO4 results but I may be wrong. I definatly try to test at the same time if day for alk
I’ve done quite a few experiments with it and I found out it affects both Nitrates and Phosphates results.

Exact timing could be different from system to system, depending on decay/export time - water circulation, filtration, feeding types/amounts, refuge/GFO/Biopellets/UVC and probably more can affect this.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we can wrap this up to user testing or some sort of timing issue. I retested 2x today after pulling GFO and came up with a 0.11. Much closer to what I would have expected. Needless to say, like others said, numbers are fine and I will not tweak further.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back