how bad is 12.00 nitrate?

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using red sea pro test kit. I got a 12.00 reading for nitrate in high range and a reading of 0.02 or 0.04 for phosphate, its hard for me to tell the color differanse. I just started with a few frags of sps in Feb . a slimmer, setosa, purple and pink stylo and orange didgi. All have good PE and the slimmer is incrusting, but my pink stylo is looking a little brown. All my favias and chalice are growing great.So how terrible is that 12.00 nitrate reading for my SPS?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I domt think its harful at all. Some intentionally add it to color up corals. 40ppm wouldnt be as good.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High Range and the end result is 12ppm did you account for the dilution. I think you have to multiply by 15. 12X15= 180 ppm. Big difference here in what your reading can be

Last edited:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
64 is the upper limit of the Red Sea Pro nitrate test. If the reading was 0.75 that would be equal to 12. I think 12 is higher than I want but I've seen some good color and growth with my SPS at that level and a little lower...say 8.

OP
OP
miyags

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first did the low range test,the number to color chart were above 4.00 So I did the high range test and the color chart matched the 12.00, I'm going to try to get it down to 8 or even 4 when I get a new dc500 skimmer. But I had to buy a new lawn mower this week. But hey $279.00 got me a cub cadet 159cc self propelled mower. That was my budget for a piece of plastic and a little water pump. Why are these skimmers so much money? Its plastic and a little water pump that sucks air!!!!!!

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first did the low range test,the number to color chart were above 4.00 So I did the high range test and the color chart matched the 12.00, I'm going to try to get it down to 8 or even 4 when I get a new dc500 skimmer. But I had to buy a new lawn mower this week. But hey $279.00 got me a cub cadet 159cc self propelled mower. That was my budget for a piece of plastic and a little water pump. Why are these skimmers so much money? Its plastic and a little water pump that sucks air!!!!!!

If it is for saltwater it costs:) It all about the mark up too. Acrylic can be pricey, I built a sump at the beginning of the month and for a sheet of 4 x 8 x 1/4 acrylic was $140.00 wholesale. I went in to a company that manufactures parts for boats out of acrylic to see if I could by there left over/scrap and they company wanted to charge me $375.00 for scrap.

OP
OP
miyags

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not glass then? recycled. I need Harbor freight to bring in a line of saltwater products. It's going to take me 3to4 months to save for a jaebo dc 500 skimmer, by then something else around the house will break and need replaced. I just can't win,but I'm still in this race and my tank is looking good. Keep-On Reefing.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is this small piece of plastic that allows skimmers, pumps, and all kinds of salt water related items to magically show up at your door!

It's a two headed beast though, all nice giving you things then suddenly asks for all kinds of money in return.

Possibly look for a used skimmer? Many can be had way cheaper then new. Also consider looking at diy for a skimmer.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind you, this already sold, but take a look in the classifieds here. It's a little larger that you are looking for, but it's still a good example of being able to get better equipment at a lower price.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bubble-magus-protein-skimmer.245240/

I have a Lifereef SVS3-36. That's a $679 skimmer! I got that and an acrylic sump from a guy for $200. The rim on his 210 cracked and he just wanted to clear it out.

Craigslist also has a trove of trash to treasure. There's a 210 near me for $500 that comes with sump, stand, skimmer, and a bunch of other junk. That could work out nicely for someone.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I agree that the 12 ppm nitrate is OK. There may begin to be some browning of corals from expanded zooxanthellae levels at that nitrate concentration, unless something else (such as phosphate) is limiting zoox. A few ppm may be a better target. :)

OP
OP
miyags

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is this small piece of plastic that allows skimmers, pumps, and all kinds of salt water related items to magically show up at your door!

It's a two headed beast though, all nice giving you things then suddenly asks for all kinds of money in return.

Possibly look for a used skimmer? Many can be had way cheaper then new. Also consider looking at diy for a skimmer.
Ya I have a old corallife 120 skimmer body,maybe cut the bottom off and buy a small jabeo needle wheel pump

OP
OP
miyags

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I agree that the 12 ppm nitrate is OK. There may begin to be some browning of corals from expanded zooxanthellae levels at that nitrate concentration, unless something else (such as phosphate) is limiting zoox. A few ppm may be a better target. :)
Thanks,Thats good to hear. It took a few months to get my phosphate down and I did drop the nitrate down a little.But still going for 8 to 4 with a new or used skimmer down the road.

OP
OP
miyags

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind you, this already sold, but take a look in the classifieds here. It's a little larger that you are looking for, but it's still a good example of being able to get better equipment at a lower price.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bubble-magus-protein-skimmer.245240/

I have a Lifereef SVS3-36. That's a $679 skimmer! I got that and an acrylic sump from a guy for $200. The rim on his 210 cracked and he just wanted to clear it out.

Craigslist also has a trove of trash to treasure. There's a 210 near me for $500 that comes with sump, stand, skimmer, and a bunch of other junk. That could work out nicely for someone.
I've been watch craigslist around here. I might just luck out.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 119 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back