How bad is my electrical situation?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2656.jpeg

30a twist lock to standard 5-15 strip. Also how you run two rails off one outlet. They also make 20a ones.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not correct. Most code allows 30R plugs on a single phase 120/30a over 10/2 and 12/2 depending on run not to mention 240. Unless you’re talking about the 5-15 itself. Then you are correct. You need an intermediate connection or PDU by code but is still allowed in residential.
I know you just changed that but it still doesn't make any sense..

what is "most code"?

guy said he puts a 25a breaker in his box I'm assuming he took the 20a out and put in a 25a ...thats not allowed

if you want to quote the NEC I'd love to break out my book and follow along.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frankly the fridge is pulling more wattage than anything else, maybe the 300w heater is neck & neck. How big is display for a 300w heater.
The 300W is on my 40gal AIO, but I have it connected to the Inkbird, which is set to kick on at 76 degrees, 2 degrees lower than the Helio heater, which is the primary heater (100W element, I think) set to 78 degrees +/- like 0.1F. I'm pretty sure that the Finnex 300W has never kicked on since the Helio keeps the temp very stable and it's easy in SoCal to keep temp up.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you just changed that but it still doesn't make any sense..

what is "most code"?

guy said he puts a 25a breaker in his box I'm assuming he took the 20a out and put in a 25a ...thats not allowed

if you want to quote the NEC I'd love to break out my book and follow along.
You can swap breaker if you verify there is 10/2 at least on SquareD. No idea what receptacle he is trying to run that to though.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can swap breaker if you verify there is 10/2 at least on SquareD. No idea what receptacle he is trying to run that to though.
yeah because 10guage "10/2" wire has the ampacity of 30amps...but no standard house has 10guage wire to the receptacles from the panel.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah because 10guage "10/2" wire has the ampacity of 30amps...but no standard house has 10guage wire to the receptacles from the panel.

It’s more common now than it used to be. Higher end homes often have a few runs of 10-2 to a 30R in media rooms and offices.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to let the debate keep up. Let's get to the bottom of this! By "let's", I mean "you guys", because I haven't the foggiest idea of what you're talking about. I do enjoy following, though!

In layman's terms (are there terms at lower status than layman?), would that strip posted be safer than other extension cords plugged into the single outlet? It doesn't appear to have a standard 3 prong plug...

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s more common now than it used to be. Higher end homes often have a few runs of 10-2 to a 30R in media rooms and offices.
that's a special application. not standard and would be built to the plans not to code.

either way that's not the application these people are referring too, and that power bar picture you used with out a link it's hard to know the specs but like I said I bet that push button is a 15 or 20amp and those are regular 15a style receptacles not even 20amp and they surely don't offer 30a capabilities.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step one. See what else is on that circuit. Easy way is to plug in a light to all the outlets and flip just that breaker. If it’s just your tank then basic inline meter will tell you your draw. If it’s under 12 or 16 amps depending on the breaker I would say you’re fine.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a special application. not standard and would be built to the plans not to code.

either way that's not the application these people are referring too, and that power bar picture you used with out a link it's hard to know the specs but like I said I bet that push button is a 15 or 20amp and those are regular 15a style receptacles not even 20amp and they surely don't offer 30a capabilities.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. That’s a 2 rail PDU. Each rail has a 15a breaker and there is a master 30a breaker for the PDU itself. The PDU itself can draw 30a but no single device could draw more than 15.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to let the debate keep up. Let's get to the bottom of this! By "let's", I mean "you guys", because I haven't the foggiest idea of what you're talking about. I do enjoy following, though!

In layman's terms (are there terms at lower status than layman?), would that strip posted be safer than other extension cords plugged into the single outlet? It doesn't appear to have a standard 3 prong plug...
what strip?

just get a good surge protector that can accommodate all your needs.

if your really wanting to find out more you can see how many receptacles are on that circuit in your house find the breaker and see the value (15a or 20a) know in your mind all that is on that circuit (what receptacles in the house) as to not overload those with vacuum cleaners and hairdryers and coffee makers etc.

if you need to know more information you can see what that circuits amperage draw is, but its probably well within range and just fine, all you should need is a good surge protector to plug everything in.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you seem so interested here is the configuration of my PDU
lol there is little to no information there. no current or voltage values no configuration that I can see.

I'm only interested because you said I was wrong, and I'd be willing to bet my journeyman card on it I'm not so, that's my interest...

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol there is little to no information there. no current or voltage values no configuration that I can see.

I'm only interested because you said I was wrong, and I'd be willing to bet my journeyman card on it I'm not so, that's my interest...

Tried for a photo of the back but by myself that’s asking for disaster. Best I can do is a stock photo of the back of a 2 15a rail one. Basically the same minus the transfer switch.

Attachments

• IMG_2659.jpeg
    IMG_2659.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 50

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried for a photo of the back but by myself that’s asking for disaster. Best I can do is a stock photo of the back of a 2 15a rail one. Basically the same minus the transfer switch.
so those are a little different than that other picture you put up, in that those are combination 15/20a recpticles still covered by onbord over current protection, and still making all those good for a combined value of 20amps even when plugged into a 30a twist lock recpticle. (which is not standard or in "most codes" for residential)

you cannot put a 25a or greater breaker on a residential recpticle circuit. if anyone comes across this please do not replace your breakers with a larger one, contact a competent licensed preferably journeyman electrician to help you.

my original post you said was "wrong" is very much in fact TRUE, im putting the microphone down now, good day. ;) :)

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frugal reefer . So if you were setting up a dedicated plug from scratch if all the walls were exposed all the way to the box , what would you use . Interesting topic !

Last edited:

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah 30a receptacles don't run skimmers and pumps I'm not following what your saying

My original point was you can draw up to 30a of power all through single surge strip of 5-15s. Breaker, wiring and plug would all need to be 30a rated. This used to be fairly common in aquariums in the days of MH and massive chillers.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 173 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 44 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back