Home Electrical

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know everyone here is no an electrician but wondering how everyone’s home electrical is set up?

My current situation is a 92 gallon with a 20 gallon sump. I have one outlet that everything is plugged into. On that same breaker are 3 other outlets with nothing else plugged into them. So the breaker in my opinion is not overloaded but the one reachable outlet to the tank in my opinion is. 15 amp breaker, i’m guessing 14 gauge wire and 15 amp outlets

Upper socket : LED Reef Breeders 32” light 230 watts

Lower socket:
return pump 10 watts
PH controller 12v dc 100 watts
Skimmer 105 watts
Circulation pump 9.5 watts
ATO DC pump 100 watts
Sump light 9 watts

I’d like to add dosing pumps but have run out of places to plug anything in without Daisy Channing outlets.

How much do all of you have plugged into one outlet? What have you done to accommodate everything that is plugged in?

IMG_6238.jpeg IMG_6107.jpeg

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the breaker in my opinion is not overloaded but the one reachable outlet to the tank in my opinion is. 30 amp breaker, i’m guessing 14 gauge wire and 15 amp outlets
I am a master electrician and there is no where in the US where you can legally, or safely install a 30 amp breaker in a panel and connect it to #14 wire. If you have #14 wire going to that outlet, you can only use a maximum breaker of 15 amps.

You need to change that breaker for a 15 amp. I doubt you have a 30 amp breaker in there but I can't see your house from here.

If you need more power at your tank, you need to run another line.

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a master electrician and there is no where in the US where you can legally, or safely install a 30 amp breaker in a panel and connect it to #14 wire. If you have #14 wire going to that outlet, you can only use a maximum breaker of 15 amps.

You need to change that breaker for a 15 amp. I doubt you have a 30 amp breaker in there but I can't see your house from here.

Yep i’m wrong just looked 15 amp

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glassmunky is correct, it's the load on the line that matters the most although it is possible to overload an outlet if the draw reaches the outlets limit and overheats it.
I run a 75gal with everything plugged into one outlet. To clarify though, I use an apex with the majority plugged into an eb8 which is plugged into that one outlet. The only thing not plugged in the eb8 is the 1link power supply which is directly in the outlet. In total there is return and skimmer pump, heater, 2 wav circulation pumps, atk, cooling fan, display light, and cabinet light all on that line and it usually runs under 3amps draw.
I am not an electrician but am a licensed residential builder. There will be a lot of different ways people will approach this and they will prob all be "right". It sounds like you have a good understanding so I would say monitor as you have and look for deviations from the norm but if it ain't broke....don't fix it...lol
Tank looks great!

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Right on! Thanks for your input as it's awesome to have the professionals give us input on our questions, one of the great things about the forum!!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my 125g tank off of a single outlet that is using 12 gauge wire and a 20 amp breaker. I have another outlet on that breaker but nothing is ever plugged into it.
When I was renovating my house and doing electrical I actually added a extra electrical circuit where I was planning on putting a tank…then the tank I bought wouldn’t fit there, so I’m back to a single outlet and breaker.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, just for my own curiosity I just added all of my electrical load and I am a little over 7 amps if everything was running at the same time. So I am well below the load rating for my circuit even with the 80% rule.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran two separate 20 amp outlets with their own breaker to my 300..so that I could split the load draw between the two. I have 4 radions and 3 kessils for lights. I also using dj or recording studio lighted circut breaker switch panels for all the other stuff. UV, 2 skimmers, ozone, reactor pumps, UV pump, gyres, MP40's and return pump.

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably overdid mine but wanted to make sure I was covered. I was lucky enough to have an inside wall along the garage where my breaker box is located and was a good location for my tank. I installed 2 new 20 amp breakers with 12 gauge wire running to their own 20 amp GFCI outlets.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90G. Haven’t added it up but 2 dedicated circuits because it was easy to do.

Anyway, OP, do you not have heaters? Your load seems pretty low and if you just want more spots to plug into then use a bigger plug strip (mine is wifi).

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on! Thanks for your input as it's awesome to have the professionals give us input on our questions, one of the great things about the forum!!
Well I retired almost 20 years ago so I may not be up on all the new codes. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I just looked behind my tank. I have 25 outlets there. :anguished-face: (it pays being an electrician) There are only about 18 things plugged in.

Behind tank.JPG

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90G. Haven’t added it up but 2 dedicated circuits because it was easy to do.

Anyway, OP, do you not have heaters? Your load seems pretty low and if you just want more spots to plug into then use a bigger plug strip (mine is wifi).
What power strip do you have?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know everyone here is no an electrician but wondering how everyone’s home electrical is set up?

My current situation is a 92 gallon with a 20 gallon sump. I have one outlet that everything is plugged into. On that same breaker are 3 other outlets with nothing else plugged into them. So the breaker in my opinion is not overloaded but the one reachable outlet to the tank in my opinion is. 15 amp breaker, i’m guessing 14 gauge wire and 15 amp outlets

Upper socket : LED Reef Breeders 32” light 230 watts

Lower socket:
return pump 10 watts
PH controller 12v dc 100 watts
Skimmer 105 watts
Circulation pump 9.5 watts
ATO DC pump 100 watts
Sump light 9 watts

I’d like to add dosing pumps but have run out of places to plug anything in without Daisy Channing outlets.

How much do all of you have plugged into one outlet? What have you done to accommodate everything that is plugged in?

IMG_6238.jpeg IMG_6107.jpeg
you can do a quick and simple load calculation, add up all your loads in watts you are allowed 1500w safely at your single receptacle.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What power strip do you have?

Kasa Smart Plug Power Strip HS300, Surge Protector with 6 Individually Controlled Smart Outlets and 3 USB Ports, Works with Alexa & Google Home, No Hub Required , White​

Currently $40 on Amazon. Others may have diff recommendations but I have 2 of these and they haven’t failed yet or gone on/off randomly.

USB ports also good for cameras.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kasa Smart Plug Power Strip HS300, Surge Protector with 6 Individually Controlled Smart Outlets and 3 USB Ports, Works with Alexa & Google Home, No Hub Required , White​

Currently $40 on Amazon. Others may have diff recommendations but I have 2 of these and they haven’t failed yet or gone on/off randomly.

USB ports also good for cameras.
I have 4 I use also with their cameras, they have been great for a few years now, I even use them for light timers they go on and off everyday.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back