GFCI outlet or GFCI adaptor/power strip

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the focus on what should be GFCI'd? I only have one outlet near where I'm setting up my build. I was going to replace the outlet with a GFCI but would it be better to leave it be and plug a single GFCI adaptor into one of them and the return pump into the non gfci free outlet? Or would it be better to just use a GFCI power strip? Equipment will be return pump, skimmer, light, ATO pump, heater. cooling fan possible on sump. Just wondering if one of the below adaptors/powerstrips would be better than the whole outlet on GFCI?

equipment:
MightyJet XL - 2656 GPH DC
Sicce Syncra Silent 5.0
Tunze ATO 3155

Waiting for BF sales/deciding

Helio 700 Watt PTC Smart Aquarium Heater​

twin Radion XR15
Wave Maker

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump
I see so many different things that people are doing. Before I swap out the only outlet to GFCI. It's easy for me to change the outlet but just as easy to add a single GFCI adaptor to a multi switch power strip? Once water goes in the tank I can't change the outlet easily.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id swap the outlet, less cords.
With the gfci outlet you can also protect downstream outlets wired to load terminals of outlet.
this outlet only has the 4 dining room outlets and 1 exterior outlet that I;m aware of. Exterior outlet gets some Christmas decor otherwise nothing else. I really don't feel like opening the box to a whole new circuit/breaker. My thought was that the "cycling" of lights and heater on could trip it once in a while. I seem to have issues running the table/miter saws tripping the breaker constantly on 2 other circuits. I believe i'f need another standard outlet to run battery backup to the GFCI on a false trip. I guess I can add a GFCI outlet then if it doesn't work, I'd have to crawl through the cabinet over the sump to swap it back. Would have been better if the outlet wasn't currently centered right behind the stand.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the future to get to this outlet it’s over the sump 7” from the back cabinet. I was also thinking to place an acrylic sheet on the back of the pipes so water would never spray on the outlet in worst case leak.

Attachments

• IMG_9811.jpeg
    IMG_9811.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 50

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the future to get to this outlet it’s over the sump 7” from the back cabinet. I was also thinking to place an acrylic sheet on the back of the pipes so water would never spray on the outlet in worst case leak.
Do you own the house? If so, it wouldn't be much effort to move it up 6-8"

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the gfci outlet you can also protect downstream outlets wired to load terminals of outlet.
Not criticizing the idea by any means...

Personally, I installed my GFCI outlet to only handle tank equipment with none of the downstream outlets on the "load" side.
*didn't want an inadvertent GFI trip to happen elsewhere that would shut off all of my tank equipment,,, especially since all of the outlets on the circuit had been running for 20+ years as non-GFI with no issues

Not claiming better or worse,,, just thinking aloud

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you own the house? If so, it wouldn't be much effort to move it up 6-8"
yes, own. But at that point I think adding another circuit might be better but didn't want to have to get that much work done. The breaker is isn't far. 6 feet under to the wall in the basement. 20+ years ago none of us plugged tanks into GFCI's when they were in our bedrooms. But thinking to just chance the tripping and go GFCI outlet and plug everything into an individual switched power strip.

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case, I added a second outlet right beside the existing outlet. One is now GFCI where most everything is connected. The Non-GFCI outlet will have a UPS with the return pump connected along with the Matt filter just because :)

GFCI adapters / extensions tend to be touchy and I would not use.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not criticizing the idea by any means...

Personally, I installed my GFCI outlet to only handle tank equipment with none of the downstream outlets on the "load" side.
*didn't want an inadvertent GFI trip to happen elsewhere that would shut off all of my tank equipment,,, especially since all of the outlets on the circuit had been running for 20+ years as non-GFI with no issues

Not claiming better or worse,,, just thinking aloud
The wife approved my spot. So anywhere else is out of the Q to locate the tank. Nothing on the circuit outside of the tank would be a problem if tripped. Not sure if this outlet is first or last in the series. Either way I will need to place something behind the sump to protect from splashes.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case, I added a second outlet right beside the existing outlet. One is now GFCI where most everything is connected. The Non-GFCI outlet will have a UPS with the return pump connected along with the Matt filter just because :)

GFCI adapters / extensions tend to be touchy and I would not use.
My 32G tank I have a 1500 APC UPS and it's fine for short power outages. Runs for a few hours. Unfortunately though the portable generator doesn't have enough oomph to recharge it. Need a better sine.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with most GFCI extension cords is that they need to be manually reset after power failures.

Build (or have a friend who can) a DIY GFCI power snake using one ore more GFCIs in a metal or ganged metal work boxes if you don't want to add receptacles to the wall.

This removes the single point of failure due to a GFCI trip (real or nuisance).

1698604740233.png

I grabbed an internet photo --- but similar to above with (2x) GFCI. You can connect boxes side-by-side with conduit connectors if you wish to get 4, 6 , 8... whatever individual GFCI protected nodes.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also before any if you explain that you can't have more than one GFCI on a circuit... sure you can, you just don't want to wire the LOAD side of one GFCI into the LINE side of another. They can be wired in parallel with no problem though.
1698604901525.png

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically this would allow me to say buy a few boxes, wire in separate GFCI outlets with one extension cord to plug in the standard outlet? Just mount this right inside the stand? Someone on here should start making this and sell them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back