OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also does anyone have experience plugging a surge protected power strip into a gfci outlet?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I am getting from Amazon for $25. I would also use a ground probe for the tank with this.

Attachments

• GFCI.jpg
    GFCI.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 30

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When setting up my 180, I had an electrician run three dedicated 30 amp gfci circuits to support the electrical. Ensure that the power draw of what is plugged into the power strip doesn't exceed what your wiring is capable of and you should be good. Someone mentioned that a resident electrician would weigh in, so I'd wait for him/her to confirm. As for the grounding probe: yes. Always yes. Stray current from a pump or heater is a shocking experience (pun intended). You only need one, and it can be plugged into any outlet.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are using a probe you absolutely should be using a gfci if you dont use gfci your ground probe makes you tank much more dangerous to you. if you dont have a gcfi do not hook up a grounding probe at all.

ideally you want to ground to a solid fixed hard wired connection to ground. Yes technically can you plug the probe into a power strip yes,, but it is not a way any electrician would ever do it.

as far as the gcfi i would get gcfi circuit breaker and install it at your main panel.. those power strip versions tend to crap out , get salt vapor etc....

and if you have a tank and a sump you should have a ground probe in both places.

Last edited:

Steve Zee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your personal protection a GFCI is imperative! Lots of discussion regarding grounding probes. My advice is skipping the grounding probe because it creates a greater hazard for someone with their hands working in the tank. However, some insist that the benefit to the fish is important because it will give a “Stray Voltage” a path to ground. I have not found research to backing this claim.

Back to the GFCI, they can be a real nuisance and I highly recommend paying a few extra bucks for a brand from Hubbell or Leviton. Quality and filtering counts because they are all sensitive. Also consider using multiple. They work by sensing current leakage and the threshold is very low. Every device you plug in will inherently have some leakage, So it helps to split this up. Maybe use something like this: https://a.co/d/9EhClWZ where you can add multiple ones into power strip.

The problem with new GFCI’s like the ones listed is that if you lose power the GFCI’s will need to be manually reset at the unit. This was a new requirement for 2020 in an effort to force people to test GFCI before using it. Don’t know why this supposably helps. Installing a GFCI outlet or one at the breaker panel mitigates this specific issue.

Surge protector should work fine on either side of GFCI.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a gcfi monitors the current flowing from hot to neutral
pretending ground and arc faults dont exist is not the solution.
and the idea of the grounding probe is it becomes the path to ground instead of you becoming the path to ground.

anybody whos been at the hobby pre led/ pre dc pumps will know what im talking about.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back