How big is too big ?

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What’s the sweet spot ? How big is too big ?

I’ve had a 180 a 250 deep dimension a 75 a 93 cube and a few more over my 14 years of reefing I recently ordered a very large tank 120x36x25 and had it come in damaged so I have to start all over…

I’m seriously wondering if I’m biting off more than I want to chew…
I already have 400 lbs of Marco rock
2 mp60
5 radion xr30g6
Bubble king 250 deluxe
72x24x21 custom built sump
And a great spot I made for the tank..

I have a air exchanger planned from my furnace to help with humidity and ph along with a dehumidifier mounted in the fish area and the furnace return 4’ away from the tank to help pull humidity through the system and condition the air… I have 80 amps of service deticated for the fish room and 175 gallons of ro capacity currently in hand and a 200gpd unit

The work to do a 6’ tank vs 10’ tank when reconfiguring the fishroom is almost the same… it’s on a concrete slab so weight of my options isn’t much of an issue

My fish buddy has about had it with me and the scheming and keeps saying go big lol. Does anyone have sane advice ? I will not consider anything smaller than 72x36x25 in all honesty. And no larger than 120x36x25
I have attached pics of the space.. the wall with the tape is the fishroom wall in pic two that I will cut open. The tank will sit outside and view from 3 angles. The tape on the wall is 8’ and 10’ and the top of tank to ceiling is 24”

Things I’m concerned about are evaporation and keeping up with water demands and makin my house not smell like a swamp

Thanks for any advice !

4EC9E506-73E9-4FFB-97EB-AF937FED66B6.jpeg 32B8895F-42D9-4359-B1AE-AD5940457A6D.jpeg

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me personally I would love the biggest one but taking care of my six foot tank for a while makes me not want more length than that. Would take up too much of my room. Only upgrade Im going to be doing is a 250 gallon no longer than the 6 feet just so my fishies can have more water volume when they grow to their adult size as almost all are juveniles. Also Im scared about floor weight and calculated anything bigger would make me too nervous to try, not sure if thats an issue with your home or not

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What’s the sweet spot ? How big is too big ?

I’ve had a 180 a 250 deep dimension a 75 a 93 cube and a few more over my 14 years of reefing I recently ordered a very large tank 120x36x25 and had it come in damaged so I have to start all over…

I’m seriously wondering if I’m biting off more than I want to chew…
I already have 400 lbs of Marco rock
2 mp60
5 radion xr30g6
Bubble king 250 deluxe
72x24x21 custom built sump
And a great spot I made for the tank..

I have a air exchanger planned from my furnace to help with humidity and ph along with a dehumidifier mounted in the fish area and the furnace return 4’ away from the tank to help pull humidity through the system and condition the air… I have 80 amps of service deticated for the fish room and 175 gallons of ro capacity currently in hand and a 200gpd unit

The work to do a 6’ tank vs 10’ tank when reconfiguring the fishroom is almost the same…

My fish buddy has about had it with me and the scheming and keeps saying go big lol. Does anyone have sane advice ? I will not consider anything smaller than 72x36x25 in all honesty. And no larger than 120x36x25
I have attached pics of the space.. the wall with the tape is the fishroom wall in pic two that I will cut open. The tank will sit outside and view from 3 angles. The tape on the wall is 8’ and 10’ and the top of tank to ceiling is 24”

Things I’m concerned about are evaporation and keeping up with water demands and makin my house not smell like a swamp

Thanks for any advice !

4EC9E506-73E9-4FFB-97EB-AF937FED66B6.jpeg 32B8895F-42D9-4359-B1AE-AD5940457A6D.jpeg
Have currently a 10ft tank, have had 12 foot and quite frankly never too big on my behalf, but the true answer to how big is how big you can accommodate, afford and manage. Keep weight of tank filled in mind with any larger tanks.

OP
OP
1000rrstunna

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me personally I would love the biggest one but taking care of my six foot tank for a while makes me not want more length than that. Would take up too much of my room. Only upgrade Im going to be doing is a 250 gallon no longer than the 6 feet just so my fishies can have more water volume when they grow to their adult size as almost all are juveniles. Also Im scared about floor weight and calculated anything bigger would make me too nervous to try, not sure if thats an issue with your home or not
It’s in the basement so it is on a slab. I never want to upgrade again lol that’s why 10’ seems like it’s the right move. I’m surprised there aren’t 8’ tanks offered from more manufacturers in shop floors honestly.

OP
OP
1000rrstunna

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have currently a 10ft tank, have had 12 foot and quite frankly never too big on my behalf, but the true answer to how big is how big you can accommodate, afford and manage. Keep weight of tank filled in mind with any larger tanks.
Cost really isn’t the large issue or weight it’s about how much Time it will demand. But I highly doubt 8-10ft has much demand difference

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You look like you've got a bit of a set up there.
Perhaps you could set up some sort of automation to assist with things if going quite large so you don't have to worry about water changes and the like so much.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a quality refugium and possibly carbon dosing should help with avoiding big or frequent water changes. A refugium with the right macroalgae can also help feed the tank. Carbon should help with the smell but I'd also imagine an air filter with carbon could help too.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank should you be concerned about weight and floor bracing from your experience?

OP
OP
1000rrstunna

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You look like you've got a bit of a set up there.
Perhaps you could set up some sort of automation to assist with things if going quite large so you don't have to worry about water changes and the like so much.
I’ve got crap everywhere right now but I had an awc on my 180 wasn’t terrible

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this will sound cliche, but as big as you can handle. [That's what she said ;) ]

10 foot length is a good starting point as it will allow you to keep bigger fish like Naso tangs, Emperors, etc.

OP
OP
1000rrstunna

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How about 120x48x48? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I can only do 25” tall to leave me with 24” above it for maintenance while keeping it 30” off the floor… my ceiling height sucks in allotted space. I also don’t think I can reach in from front and back and safely get to all areas with 48” wide. Honestly I think 36” is the sweet spot

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have trouble reaching the back of my 30" wide tank that is 25 inches deep. I am 5'10". The tank is 8 ft and i really wish i had gone 10 ft. If i had the space I probably would consider even longer than that most likely 12ft when i get my forever tank. The difference in maintenance between this and my 6 ft tank has been minimal. And other than having more lights to clean and my equipment maintenance routine being a little more work, this has been an easy change. I say go as long as you can in the given space and make a determination on the other dimensions based on what you can reach comfortably.

OP
OP
1000rrstunna

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have trouble reaching the back of my 30" wide tank that is 25 inches deep. I am 5'10". The tank is 8 ft and i really wish i had gone 10 ft. If i had the space I probably would consider even longer than that most likely 12ft when i get my forever tank. The difference in maintenance between this and my 6 ft tank has been minimal. And other than having more lights to clean and my equipment maintenance routine being a little more work, this has been an easy change. I say go as long as you can in the given space and make a determination on the other dimensions based on what you can reach comfortably.
do you have only access from the front ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back