How big is too big ?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a very individual thing on tank size. Need to consider not only your goals, but budget and time as well which is hard until own a few tanks, not that you haven’t of course.

I found personally over the decades I like nanos. Previously I had a custom 6’ that I found too much work for me so limited myself to 4’ but even then I decided to upgrade to a 15g IM. I say upgrade because for me it was!

I do think 40b is the sweet spot unless fish only. I see a lot of people follow, which I think is some of the worst advise in the hobby, to go big as you can. Many of these people have a terrible experience with huge tanks and leave the hobby. I wonder if we would retain more people if they had instead done a 3’ or 4’ tank. But again it’s personal.

F4u-SuperCorsair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the sweet spot ? How big is too big ?

4EC9E506-73E9-4FFB-97EB-AF937FED66B6.jpeg 32B8895F-42D9-4359-B1AE-AD5940457A6D.jpeg
Swimming pool.

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The length of the tank is often largely dictated by the physical space you have to fit the tank in, you don’t have this challenge from the picture, but I’d say no more than 10ft, as a good sweet spot.

The big decisions (IMO) is always the depth and the width.

Too deep and maintenance is a challenge.

Not wide enough for the depth, and it looks out of proportions.

As a rule, I always want the width greater than the depth.

My new tank is 7ft long (odd size but space constrained), by 4ft wide, by 2.5ft deep.

This is the maximum depth I’d want to go for this width, it’s difficult enough to touch the bottom at the edge. Coral placement is going to be “fun”.

I wish I could have gone longer though!!

OP
OP
1000rrstunna

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The length of the tank is often largely dictated by the physical space you have to fit the tank in, you don’t have this challenge from the picture, but I’d say no more than 10ft, as a good sweet spot.

The big decisions (IMO) is always the depth and the width.

Too deep and maintenance is a challenge.

Not wide enough for the depth, and it looks out of proportions.

As a rule, I always want the width greater than the depth.

My new tank is 7ft long (odd size but space constrained), by 4ft wide, by 2.5ft deep.

This is the maximum depth I’d want to go for this width, it’s difficult enough to touch the bottom at the edge. Coral placement is going to be “fun”.

I wish I could have gone longer though!!
I will have front and back access but my height is limited to 25 because of ceiling. I think 36” width won’t be a challenge. I’m pretty set on 9-10’ wide and if I increase width 40” will be MAX. but I think I’m asking for trouble over 36” wide. Honestly I think 10x3x25” is where I’m at… it is really good sqft and I think I can service it well

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this will probably not help, but the most eye-pleasing aquariums I've seen dimension wise is where the length is 2.5 times the width.

Hence 144x60, 120x48, 96x40, 72x30, etc.

Last edited:

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally say that over 1k gallons or so can get into interesting challenges. You start to run into equipment availability issues as things are generally made for smaller tanks. You really have to be a very smart and resourceful person when setting up. Things like flow, lighting, filtration, can become tricky. Ive been to Dave Anderson's 5k tank and it took years of thought and planning to get it going. He also constantly had to adjust for new challenges.

A good Polo reef comment was something like. " it didnt matter if he had all the money in the world, it still took 6 years of planning"

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally say that over 1k gallons or so can get into interesting challenges. You start to run into equipment availability issues as things are generally made for smaller tanks. You really have to be a very smart and resourceful person when setting up. Things like flow, lighting, filtration, can become tricky. Ive been to Dave Anderson's 5k tank and it took years of thought and planning to get it going. He also constantly had to adjust for new challenges.

A good Polo reef comment was something like. " it didnt matter if he had all the money in the world, it still took 6 years of planning"

Agreed; Polo Reef really didn't cut any corners when building his 17000G.

I highly recommend this video [regardless of what size you choose]:

OP
OP
1000rrstunna

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I’m not going over 500 so we are safe lol

OP
OP
1000rrstunna

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
joe@glasscages sold me the tank today !

120x36x25 starfire front and sides with armored seams, concealed waterlines, starfire braces, closed loop holes and I coordinated with Brian @ exotic marine 48" ghost overflow with 3-2" drains :)

JOE is an amazing human I cannot wait to get this tank for the second time :)

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
joe@glasscages sold me the tank today !

120x36x25 starfire front and sides with armored seams, concealed waterlines, starfire braces, closed loop holes and I coordinated with Brian @ exotic marine 48" ghost overflow with 3-2" drains :)

JOE is an amazing human I cannot wait to get this tank for the second time :)
thanks so much @1000rrstunna

you are way to kind. we are just doing what we love. Serving the best we possibly can.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would say it depends on the price for up keep if you can afford to go big then its worth it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back