How big is your WD... Show off your Walt Disney Acros!

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an award for the ugliest WD? Had it about 2 years, alk was too high at 12+. And it is the mother to about 50 frags. Then it went ugly/dormant but it is on the road to recovery
thumbnail.jpeg
In my opinion if you're able to grow it and keep it, you're doing better than most. And ugly is in the eye of the beholder... I see color and growth that's good enough for me :)

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing as i cant add filters to my pics like almost everyone clearly did to theirs mine doesnt look as good because of that. And under normal lighting with whites its still bleh

But walk disney to the naked eye is kinda blah acropora. Its a greyish yellowish body with slightly green polyps with a hint of a slight pinkish on the tips

Deff not an acropora worth what its worth. My common red planet looks 100x better. But my wd has doubled in size over 2-3 months

Red planet is just way better looking. Granted its bigger but still. Dont see the fad with a walt disney. Im just glad i git mine in store credit and not real money

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing as i cant add filters to my pics like almost everyone clearly did to theirs mine doesnt look as good because of that. And under normal lighting with whites its still bleh

But walk disney to the naked eye is kinda blah acropora. Its a greyish yellowish body with slightly green polyps with a hint of a slight pinkish on the tips

Deff not an acropora worth what its worth. My common red planet looks 100x better. But my wd has doubled in size over 2-3 months

Red planet is just way better looking. Granted its bigger but still. Dont see the fad with a walt disney. Im just glad i git mine in store credit and not real money

Do you run mostly whites? What is your lighting and schedule? Do the colors pop in blue lighting?

Anyone else finding the same thing?

It is sad to get a coral that you need filters, or trick lighting to show colors and not be able to just take pix of corals the way they look in any light.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What type of lights are you running? Have you had any type of color up our of the WD?

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First pic is when I got it. Second was 9-10months after...it was just starting to get some nice colors and then had a selective acro crash but was lucky I cut the original part of the colony off as a backup...I don't have a current pic but it has thankfully grown and starting to develop colors...have fragged the original frag off again lol. This is why I frag all my corals as backups.
414040AA-3D6E-403C-B5D7-510DBE7A16FD.jpeg
71AD5CD9-4B66-4B7B-8AB9-58CB7088226D.jpeg

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still needs some baking. Homewrecker to the left of it starting to pull some pinks.

D443B2D0-F9E0-4B53-A0B7-5162BD9D08F0.jpeg
The zoas under neither don't interfere with the encrusting? That HW is a also nice looking piece, it's on my list ... but I won't invest in it until I'm out of the hand dosing game (which I know is a big no, no for alk stability).

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First pic is when I got it. Second was 9-10months after...it was just starting to get some nice colors and then had a selective acro crash but was lucky I cut the original part of the colony off as a backup...I don't have a current pic but it has thankfully grown and starting to develop colors...have fragged the original frag off again lol. This is why I frag all my corals as backups.
414040AA-3D6E-403C-B5D7-510DBE7A16FD.jpeg
71AD5CD9-4B66-4B7B-8AB9-58CB7088226D.jpeg
There is a lot of color there! Glad you were able to save a piece of it! Post again when it gets to size, I'm happy to hear that folks are able to save their pieces. Did you have it in a backup system?

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little guy
56CA5D76-702A-434D-939A-6A66FCC609E3.jpeg
I'd love to see what the big guy looks like ;) Wow that is the biggest colony I've seen thus far! How long? How many frags? It's beautiful! Do you mind sharing your parameters? What do you dose with?

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is a lot of color there! Glad you were able to save a piece of it! Post again when it gets to size, I'm happy to hear that folks are able to save their pieces. Did you have it in a backup system?

nope same system just on a frag rack lol..lost the purple colony to the left of it as well able to save a piece and growing that out as well.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The zoas under neither don't interfere with the encrusting? That HW is a also nice looking piece, it's on my list ... but I won't invest in it until I'm out of the hand dosing game (which I know is a big no, no for alk stability).

yes they do. If I ever change the rockscape, zoas will not be a part of it. I just cut them back for now and give more room for the acros to encrust and prevent base shading. Hand dosing was a pain, so I agree with you. The Alkatronic has changed the game for stability for me. Wouldn’t own a tank without a Alk monitor.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope same system just on a frag rack lol..lost the purple colony to the left of it as well able to save a piece and growing that out as well.
Both look to be growing like crazy! That's pretty awesome!

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes they do. If I ever change the rockscape, zoas will not be a part of it. I just cut them back for now and give more room for the acros to encrust and prevent base shading. Hand dosing was a pain, so I agree with you. The Alkatronic has changed the game for stability for me. Wouldn’t own a tank without a Alk monitor.
I've been researching the Alkatronic... debating the plunge now or later, based on your comment and colony size I'd say worth it?

GemsAreAGirlsBestFriend

Coral Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see what the big guy looks like ;) Wow that is the biggest colony I've seen thus far! How long? How many frags? It's beautiful! Do you mind sharing your parameters? What do you dose with?

BighohoReef - Thanks so much!
I picked up my frag from Mike himself (for a small fortune) at RAP Orlando 2017 as a little nub and he's been growing ever since. Now he's about 8"-9" around last I measured. I regularly frag and share him. Currently grown under Radion G4 pros.

Here are my Params -
Alk 8.5 - 8.7
Ca 450 - 480
Mag 1450 - 1500
No3 2 - 5
Po4 .03 - 0.6

I use Aquaforest Reef Salt and dose Red Sea Coral colors and Aquaforest MicroE on water change day only. Daily, I dose Red Sea Alk and Ca on a doser and hand dose Mag as needed. Trying to keep it simple!

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've been researching the Alkatronic... debating the plunge now or later, based on your comment and colony size I'd say worth it?

The three biggest jumps towards SPS growth and color for me has been skimmer line to outside which gets me around 8.4 ph, Alkatronic for stability and Easyreef sps food on a doser. Night and day difference!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back