How BLUE is Your Reef???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

How BLUE Is your tank?

• 70:30 or whiter- I like shallow reefs

Votes: 18 3.9%
  • 60:40- I like a little less blue

Votes: 32 7.0%
  • 50:50- I like an even balance

Votes: 55 12.0%
  • 40:60- I like a little extra blue

Votes: 96 20.9%
  • 30:70- I like that 20K look

Votes: 143 31.2%
  • 20:80- I want extra POP

Votes: 64 13.9%
  • 10:90- am I even using channel 4?

Votes: 25 5.4%
  • 0:100-All blue for me, baby!

Votes: 26 5.7%

• Total voters

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 100% at peak. My experience has been Coralline Algae takes off with more white. Ran the AB for more than a year and had no growth.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just looking at your lights.I have 250 watt metal halides.Three of them over a 6 Ft deep demension tank . Want to change to leds like the blue look but also would not want it all blue would I be able to get a 10k look if I wanted too

Definitely! We tuned our layout to about 14K with all the channels even. With 2 Photon 32-V2+ and a Photon Link Rail kit you will have plenty of light at around 50% power, the 32s are very powerful lights. You can easily adjust the white channel (Channel 4) up to achieve a kelvin rating of 10,000K.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try for about a 14K appearance. I don't think any more white than that does anything useful and can contribute to algae issues under some circumstances.

I don't like the over done blue look at all. My tank is lit that way as the lights are tapering down for the day though. For a short period of time only blues are on.

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use LED, but I have 50/50 true atinic and Coral +. It's about 12K when I do the color balance on a raw photo. I found the Blue+ and coral+ to be way to blue for me, though 10K and Blue+ was okay.

Whiskey

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usec coral lab AB+, think thats like 50/50?

AB+ is around 18.5K. RB stated 50/50 is relative to 14k so, no. Would need less white/more blue. Rakie estimated his to be at about AB+ at 35/65 but heck if I know ;). I only have experience with RB's old SuperLux fixture. I was unsuccessful in switching to it from an XR-15 gen4 running AB+ personally but ymmv. I found it very difficult to get a similar color mix to AB+ (ended up with something like a 30/70 ratio for my eyes) but I did find the even channel 14k look very pleasing to the eye.

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Logan, I'm running at 20k. I'm going to have to check the actual numbers when I get home but I found a excel spread sheet on rc. Just plug in your blue led for the highest for the day and it will give you a bell shaped curve for sunrise /sunset. Need to find that and post it here.

2slow95vert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stumbled on this thread this morning and received my Photon 24V2 a couple of hrs ago. Some great timing! Programmed the lights using the excel chart above, maxing ch3 at 20%. Looks great so far, but maybe a little strong compared to my old lights. Instead of reprogramming I just raised them to about 11" above the water. Thanks for providing the spreadsheet!

GCReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the R120 but it shouldn't matter much when talking about ratio and channel max.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the R120 but it shouldn't matter much when talking about ratio and channel max.
It's a rare light so you may or may not get help with it.

BUT we can try to help if you give us more details. How many channels can you adjust? Which spectrum for each channel, and what kind of corals are you growing?

GCReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the help but it's a pretty similar light to the V2 which is what it replaced. I'd prefer to hear from actual users of the specific line of lights. It's just too different to be able to speculate on.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the help but it's a pretty similar light to the V2 which is what it replaced. I'd prefer to hear from actual users of the specific line of lights. It's just too different to be able to speculate on.
So I take it your question is geared towards intensities and not ratios. Got it.

Anyone have some input on their W/B ratio with the Aquasanrise?

Good luck.

YumaMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My answer of 20:80 for "more POP" needs some comment. I run your Photons at this ratio but concurrently run 4 HO T5 Geissman 36" bulbs from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm along side of the Photons. My tank has a very natural look during the afternoon. Some corals actually look much better when the T5s kick on, such as my Pink Birdsnest seriatopora and my Tyree Rainbow stylophora. Otherwise that ratio is too blue and the tank is too dark.

The reason I don't use more white light is that I've read that white light may bleach corals more than other light spectrums. I don't know if this is true or not. It seems from reading above that you (Logan) may not agree with that assertion. If you are right, you might convince me to change my mix to 30:70 or even 40:60 during the daylight hours.

GCReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I take it your question is geared towards intensities and not ratios. Got it.

Good luck.

No. My question was about ratio's. That was the only thing I asked. Perhaps you saw the title of the thread? Please stop trying to put words in my mouth or answer questions you aren't qualified to answer. It's a weird attitude to take. If you don't know, just don't answer.

edit: Exactly what I expected. Ignored.

Apologies everyone else. Hopefully someone has something useful to input about the AquaSanrise.

Last edited:

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. My question was about ratio's. Perhaps you saw the title of the thread? Please stop trying to put words in my mouth or answer questions you aren't qualified to answer. It's a weird attitude to take. If you don't know, just don't answer.
I think you've completely misunderstood my intentions.

When you said
I'd prefer to hear from actual users of the specific line of lights. It's just too different to be able to speculate on.

You really threw me off.

Now it takes a qualified reefer to answer your question? Where does one get this qualification?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back