How can I cool off my tank? Is 82 Degrees Too Hot?

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just get a clip on fan, aim it at the top of the sump water and boom a nice cool summer breeze for your tank!..... $10 at walmart and keeps my tank right where I want it, and never let my 180 (250g total volume) fluctuate more then 1 degree higher (went from 76.5 to 77.5 on a day it got to 86 in the house).

Flatbrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind thermometer are you using? I have a coralife digital therm that always is 3-4 deg higher than my reef keeper controller is reading. My coralife is reading 82, and my keeper is reading 78. Try another therm before spending alot on cooling equipment.

Reefing is like a box of chocolates, you never know whatcha gonna get!

ColaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natural reefs run around low 80's, so you should be fine. Alot of successful SPS keepers run their tanks at 82-83 for faster SPS growth.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had same issue when I was running T5's in an enclosed hood. Had a heat wave and temp in tank pushed to 82! I was freaked out for sure. Decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to LED's and remove hood from my red sea max 130d. Went with one AI Hydra 26 HD and honestly I couldn't be happier. My tank temp now back where it should be 78 but does jump to 79 during hottest part of day if 90+ out but did just purchase a new 12,000 btu A/C that is going in same room as my tank. Also purchased a cheap clip on fan that blows over top of water and that really helps alot, I find anyway. If you need something like now to cool it down I agree with above post you can put a frozen ice pack in sump or even a bottle of frozen water OR if you have one of those "window fans that blow in or out" depending on size of your tank set it (secure it obv.) on top of tank so blows on top of water that will drop temp by a few degrees in an hour or so at least that has worked for me.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 67 74.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back