How can I cool off my tank? Is 82 Degrees Too Hot?

ronsgirl520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im starting my first tank and it finished its cycling process about 2 weeks ago. It took a month to cycle. It is going to be a preditor tank, so there is live rock and live sand only in the tank. Its a marineland tank with an oak canopy and stand. Since I intend on having an eel, I also have a glass canopy to keep him inside and control any splashing from the fish (I have carpet).

I have one T5 lightening system with a blue LED strip (has 2 T5 bulbs). That in combination with the the glass canopy is keeping my tank very warm. My AC in my house is on a timer. It never gets any hotter than 78 or any cooler than 74. My tank sits right under an AC vent downstairs away from any direct sunlight. I live in a townhome with cement blocks so keeps it cool in my house. Even with my lights off on the tank when Im not home, the tank stays 82.3 degrees! If the lights are on it goes up to 83.2 degrees.

Is this harmful for the fish I am putting in there? I have a x-large Queen Trigger, x-large Blue Face Angel, x-large Emperor Angel already in the quarantine process. I intend on getting a Panda Puffer (I know I'll be waiting a while for that one!), a red sea sailfin tang and a zebra eel I will add at some point.

I asked my LFS about a cooling system and he said it will cost $789-$859 for a cooling system. He tried to talk me into switching my T5's out for all LED's but I cant afford to do that when I just bought this brand new T5 system. A friend said I should buy a little clip on fan and stick it on my sump to help cool the water down.

Again, I have to keep the glass canopy on to keep the eel in so I have to figure this out without eliminating that. Are there any other ideas on how to cool my water down or am I ok with 82-83 degree water?

Thank you for your help!

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if there is a filter spot, freeze a bottle of water and keep the top on tight and let it float in there. that will cool it for now, you can also run a fan over the lights as well if you think thats causing the problem

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have glass lids on the tank or is your sump covered? Also do you have a canopy on the tank? If you have a canopy you can put a small fan up top to blow across the top of the water and one inside the cabinet will help also

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I should have read your original post better. I would remove the glass lids and make lids from plastic mesh. Bulk reef supply sells it. You should see a pretty big difference with those lids off.

Peppster3090

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty you have nothing to worry about. You are running a fish system and the fish can tolerate warmer temperature. In fact, the higher temperature will help keep some fish diseases/parasites at bay. The only concern I can think of is temperature fluctuation. You don't want the temp bouncing around more than 3 degrees because that will stress the fish. Try running your heater at 81-82. If you are truly concerned, run a small fan by the sump to help out, but also expect more evaporation.

OP
OP
R

ronsgirl520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THanks! I have both a wooden canopy that is open in the back and have a glass canopy. I would be ok with the mesh top but my other reason in needing the glass is to control splashing from the fish onto my carpet. So the mesh wont work for me unfortunately.

So I should have read your original post better. I would remove the glass lids and make lids from plastic mesh. Bulk reef supply sells it. You should see a pretty big difference with those lids off.

OP
OP
R

ronsgirl520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I dont have a heater on it because it naturally is running 82-83. Doesnt fluctuate anymore than that. Glad to hear it wont hurt anything. I will buy a fan and run it on my sump. Or do you think it would be better to run it up under my canopy by my lights? Im not worried about evaporation. I have an RO system set up to my tank where it drips in RO water when needed and shuts off when full by using a float valve. So it stays topped off without me having to worry about it. I wanted my set up as user friendly as possible so I could do everything myself. Your feedback was very helpful, thank you!

In all honesty you have nothing to worry about. You are running a fish system and the fish can tolerate warmer temperature. In fact, the higher temperature will help keep some fish diseases/parasites at bay. The only concern I can think of is temperature fluctuation. You don't want the temp bouncing around more than 3 degrees because that will stress the fish. Try running your heater at 81-82. If you are truly concerned, run a small fan by the sump to help out, but also expect more evaporation.

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if there is a filter spot, freeze a bottle of water and keep the top on tight and let it float in there. that will cool it for now, you can also run a fan over the lights as well if you think thats causing the problem
+1 but make it rodi water incase it leaks.

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for submersible pumps, i.e. circulation, returns, etc.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are getting into the too hot zone. If you do not have fans on your canopy you should get some and see if it will help alleviate some of the heat from your lights. You can buy small fans that can be mounted into hood kind of like ones for computers. Most fish supply vendors sell them. Would it be possible to sell t 5s and buy some leds? Might be cheaper than buying a chiller.

Peppster3090

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime! Its good that you have an auto top-off set up. Thinking about it a little more, it probably is best to run the fan near the light to help dissipate the heat away from the tank. My guess is that is where most of the heat is coming from since the tank is sealed up. Also, it is probably a good idea to invest in a heater just in case you ever have a cold streak. I know summer is around the corner but it could never hurt to prevent fluctuation. If you decide to add a heater, I suggest looking into a Cobalt heater. They are awesome and the most full-proof I have ever used.

Thank you! I dont have a heater on it because it naturally is running 82-83. Doesnt fluctuate anymore than that. Glad to hear it wont hurt anything. I will buy a fan and run it on my sump. Or do you think it would be better to run it up under my canopy by my lights? Im not worried about evaporation. I have an RO system set up to my tank where it drips in RO water when needed and shuts off when full by using a float valve. So it stays topped off without me having to worry about it. I wanted my set up as user friendly as possible so I could do everything myself. Your feedback was very helpful, thank you!

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for scrapping the glass top and getting a screen top kit from BRS.

DIY Aquarium Screen Top Netting Kits - Bulk Reef Supply

The screen will keep the eel in the tank and it is tightly woven enough that it should prevent the splashing from getting out of the tank. If your canopy is only open in the back, place some towels on the carpet (behind the tank) to prevent any splash from getting to the carpet.

Your heat is certainly coming from the glass top trapping the heat (since heat rises) from your return pump/powerheads plus the lights when they are on.

If you are determined to leave the glass top in place then you may want to look into an external return pump that is air cooled vs a water cooled pump. That is likely your largest heat source.

OP
OP
R

ronsgirl520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water from tank comes down into my sump into 2 filter socks first, then goes through my huge Reef Octopus Skimmer, then is pumped back into tank by 2 Supreme Classic General Purpose Utility Pumps (model 9.5/950gph). Im installing a refractor too that isnt running yet. I also have a carbon sock in my sump.
What are you using for submersible pumps, i.e. circulation, returns, etc.

jduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye out on your local forum. Typically you can pick up a used properly sized chiller for at least half price

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree you shouldn't have much to worry about at your stated temperature range as this is about the same as the avg. ocean temp where most of our beasties are collected these days, but keep a close eye on the tank temp during the "in between" seasons if you have them.

When the weather is mild and heat or AC isn't running (very much) it can cause another 2-3 degree rise (maybe more) due to a reduction in evaporation. (Same air tends to stay in the fish room gaining humidity from the tank until there's a balance and evaporation slows way down.)

However, I wouldn't say the fish have any better tolerance for high temps than anything else. The fact is that they are cold blooded creatures and their metabolism is regulated by the water temp. This means that their metabolism runs faster in a warmer tank. This can aid healing in the short term but will shorten the animal's life in the long run, so keep it around 82°F - warmer than that should be only for short periods. Further, higher temps limit the amount of O2 that can dissolve in water, so large fish are at higher risk of suffocating sooner in a tank that "too warm".

So, I wouldn't worry about 82° but it's good that it doesn't go much over that nor for very long.

-Matt

Last edited:

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of the most successful reef tanks are kept at 78-79 degrees so this is the temp range you should shoot for if you plan to keep corals. It also gives you a comfortable cushion between you running temp and a dangerous temp (85+), running at 82+ means you are right on the edge of a problematic situation and any small environmental change in your home could push you over the temp edge and cause your inhabitants to suffer.

At the very minimum, put a 10" clip on fan on your sump to increase evaporative cooling and drive your temps down to ~80

I recommend removing the dual internal mag drive 9.5's and going to an external air-cooled return pump as this is easily a 4-5 degree reduction.

bucksfan1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a Reef Keeper Lite or something simple , I would put 2 clip on fans in your sump area, have one of the fans run 24 x 7 and then have the 2nd come on when the tank reaches a certain tempature, I had a simular issue on a old tank of mine. would not go below 81, by doing the fans the way I did my water never went above 78

darkblack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is common reefers go 80+ to have more grow. So 82 is not that bad

Back