How can I fix this wooden door that won’t close due to salt?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve had spillage accumulate from the mistakes I’ve made over the years. Some staining is removable from a recent event, so don’t laugh at me!

How can I make the door close?

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve had spillage accumulate from the mistakes I’ve made over the years. Some staining is removable from a recent event, so don’t laugh at me!

How can I make the door close?
Can you please post a photo of the hinges on that right door?

It looks to me like the bottom hinge just needs to be adjusted, honestly. There will usually be two screws on the inside of the hinge; they adjust how the door sits on the frame in two planes. The way that the bottom corner of the right door looks to be jutting out further than the top corner is what has me thinking this, but it could just be the camera angle. Maybe give a shot of them head-on?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the right hinge
D7B3CB0E-257A-48D4-BBB0-5BF4D14C7ECE.jpeg

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try adjusting that far left screw on the center piece of the top hinge since it doesn't look like there is much room for play on the bottom. It may kick that bottom corner in just enough to solve your issue.
+1 adjust the far left screw should make the door move away from/closer to the cabinet.

If you hit the max limit of adjustment on the hinge and the door still won't close, then can either...

a) use a wood chisel to remove some of the swollen wood on the cabinet face and inside of the door. Place the chisel blade on the swollen spot(s) you need to remove and gently tap the chisel handle with a hammer, or...

b) use some sand paper to remove the swollen wood

Those hinges allow you pop the doors off and on with a push of the little metal tab on the end.

Whether you use a chisel or sand paper, it'll be a LOT EASIER to do if you take the door off.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back