How can I make a refugium for this?

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a 13.5 gallon Evo all in one saltwater tank. I wanted to build a small refugium for it because I am battling excess nutrients. I am looking for some idea that I can do with this current setup. Below is a picture of my tank. Any thoughts ideas would be greatly appreciated.

D5DD2C8C-F7AE-47B1-8AFA-33E345CD3275.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about this, rather than a fuge, add a nice decrotive macro algae to the tank? I kept some red macro algae in the back corner of a 20g tank for a long time. Attached to a rock so I could pull it out every few months and cut it back about 50%. It worked very well for nitrate and phosphate control.

BillyKVT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my 20 nano I added an AquaMaxx reactor which I wrapped in an led strip. Added chaeto and it grows like crazy. Also nice place for copepods to hang out. I also bought a smart outlet to run a reverse light cycle. I just had to slowly acclimate the chaeto to it because in the beginning it was turning yellow.

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about this, rather than a fuge, add a nice decrotive macro algae to the tank? I kept some red macro algae in the back corner of a 20g tank for a long time. Attached to a rock so I could pull it out every few months and cut it back about 50%. It worked very well for nitrate and phosphate control.
I think this is what I am going to do. I like this idea a lot. What macro algae did you use?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would maybe get some filter media or what not. In a tank that size, filter media is more convenient than other means of waste export. An algae reactor would work or you could try a nano skimmer if you don't have one.

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have the evo 13.5. (Sorry for the salt stains I just moved my tank) but you can see what I did and it’s pretty freaking great. ;Shamefullyembarrased I took a long piece of sponge to act as a filter,(this is in the second chamber after my skimmer) andthere are marine blocks at thebottom to housecopepods and help breed them through the tank, then chaeto. On the outside I used Velcro on a cheap light from amazon (gotfor like 20$ on sale) and have it on a timerso it’s reverse schedule to the prime light I’m settingup on the tank. It worksgreat. I occasionally takemy long tweezers and flip the chaetobut the lights STRONG.here’s some links to the stuff I got. :)hope it helps!
Here is the light I bought and stuck on a timer:

Ps. I got the AlgaeBarn kit. For 100$ its got everything you need. Pods, cubes, phyto, and clean chaeto!

https://vaquatics.net/products/mari...un6oI_kJjP12G7170uom_DMsUen5boWhoCTygQAvD_BwE

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have the evo 13.5. (Sorry for the salt stains I just moved my tank) but you can see what I did and it’s pretty freaking great. ;Shamefullyembarrased I took a long piece of sponge to act as a filter,(this is in the second chamber after my skimmer) andthere are marine blocks at thebottom to housecopepods and help breed them through the tank, then chaeto. On the outside I used Velcro on a cheap light from amazon (gotfor like 20$ on sale) and have it on a timerso it’s reverse schedule to the prime light I’m settingup on the tank. It worksgreat. I occasionally takemy long tweezers and flip the chaetobut the lights STRONG.here’s some links to the stuff I got. :)hope it helps!
Here is the light I bought and stuck on a timer:

Ps. I got the AlgaeBarn kit. For 100$ its got everything you need. Pods, cubes, phyto, and clean chaeto!

https://vaquatics.net/products/mari...un6oI_kJjP12G7170uom_DMsUen5boWhoCTygQAvD_BwE

image.jpg image.jpg
This is a very cool set up. What do you have in the third chamber where the pumps is.

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like every one has said, HOB, actual overflow (Lifereef), pump in a bucket. I am struggling wrapping my head around (excess nutrients) in a 13.5 gallon tank, when a five gallon bucket is likely a 50% after change, 2 or 3 days in a row should knock it to almost nothing...I would look to why I had excess nutrients in the first place and try and control them...

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very cool set up. What do you have in the third chamber where the pumps is.

In the third chamber I switch in and out carbon or chemipure or even phosguard depending on my perimeters (I feed way to heavily) reef roids and SA pellets and my chaeto helps but grows like a beast. My clowns are a little fat since I feed like like 2x a day heavily. I also upgraded my pump to a sicce (up to 300 gph) and changed my wavemaker from the koralias I had to the hygger mini wavemaker (totally awesome and super low profile)! It’s also programmable to be like ocean tides and GREAT for keeping detritus build up in the tank as well as for corals.

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like every one has said, HOB, actual overflow (Lifereef), pump in a bucket. I am struggling wrapping my head around (excess nutrients) in a 13.5 gallon tank, when a five gallon bucket is likely a 50% after change, 2 or 3 days in a row should knock it to almost nothing...I would look to why I had excess nutrients in the first place and try and control them...
What is your tank stock/ setup

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is what I am going to do. I like this idea a lot. What macro algae did you use?

I don't recall the specific algae. It was red and grew from a single stalk like a bush or a tree. It was something I brought home from a beach walk.

You would do well to contact Gulf Coast Eco Systems. They collect in the Gulf of Mexico and in the Atlantic and carry a wide variety. Tell them what you want it to do and they will help you.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back