HOW CAN I STERILIZE FLORIDA ROCK

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possibie to truly prevent problems caused by adding freshly harvested Florida aquacultured reef rock; and if so, how?

Thanks
Why would you buy ocean live rock just to sterilize it???

The prevention of "problems" depends entirely on your definition of a "problem". Aside from Cirolanid isopods, I wouldn't consider anything coming in on the rock a problem necessarily...

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As noted above, if you want sterilized rock just get dry rock. If for some reason live rock is what you have you can washer then steep in a bleach solution or muriatic acid.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possibie to truly prevent problems caused by adding freshly harvested Florida aquacultured reef rock; and if so, how?

Thanks
Going to try and see if maybe other replies are misunderstanding what you are after.

Is there a 100% way to "sterilize" the rock without killing all the beneficial reasons to get the cultures rock to begin with? No.

But...

You can put it in an observation/quarantine tank just like you would corals and look for the things you are trying to avoid prior to adding it to be your tank.

If you are wanting a "sterile" rock your only options are dry...

Roadkillstewie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone stated, put it in a quarantine tank for a bit.. up on eggrate for a bit... if you're worried about crabs/worms/snails etc that might be inhabiting it. Anything else, you're kind of negating the reason/purpose of getting "freshly harvested Florida aquacultured reef rock"

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd quarantine it and deal with whatever you don't want in buckets if you're gonna be that worried about "pests". You can get dry rock and add micro fauna in from Indo pacific sea farms , only thing that got in that I didn't put in was bubble algae (never seen more than a few bubbles over the past 4 year. That and being selective with my frags, I've not introduced anything I didn't want and am happy with the results, it does take forever and a year to mature though. If it's one of your first systems, I'd just use the live rock as is, do a high salinity dip to flush out crabs and shrimps and what not and no just put it in.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back