How can i take care of my blood shrimp when this is happening

TheTruTaric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my shrimp has chosen to host my skimmer, he hides behind it so i can't really see him, i have tried to relocate him multiple times but he goes back, feeding him has become a pain, i need to take a small extended turkey baster and blast food near him until he takes it (algae issue so overfeeding not preferred), also when I feed he cant even see what's going on. can i just feed my fish normally and ignore him until he starts to come out, if this is how I need to feed him this aint it, especially when i travel i cant complicate the process for the people i leave the tank with

image_123927839.JPG

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it? As long as he actually eats when you feed him I wouldn't worry about it. If he's healthy he'll find food. Most shrimp I've had are pretty aggressive feeders.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess that he might be hiding from you, I think you should leave it alone. At best make sure that it has some hiding places in your tank, blood shrimps don't like to be out in the open, they hide all day, its normal. It doesnt need to see the food, it can smell it. They are scavengers, they will find the left over food

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my shrimp has chosen to host my skimmer, he hides behind it so i can't really see him, i have tried to relocate him multiple times but he goes back, feeding him has become a pain, i need to take a small extended turkey baster and blast food near him until he takes it (algae issue so overfeeding not preferred), also when I feed he cant even see what's going on. can i just feed my fish normally and ignore him until he starts to come out, if this is how I need to feed him this aint it, especially when i travel i cant complicate the process for the people i leave the tank with

image_123927839.JPG
Blood shrimp are like cockroaches believe me if he’s hungry he will get the food that you put in the tank to feed the other things in the tank

reefingaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blood shrimp has been in my tank for almost 4 years. I saw him about 2 months ago for the first time in over 3 years. Forgot 100% he was even in my tank!!! Figured he died years ago but he came out to eat one morning and then went to the back of my rock work that I assume he has been living at For years. I have seen him 2 or 3 times now that I know what part of the tank he is at. Now I’m wondering what else is alive in the back of my rock work that in have not seen.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blood shrimp has been in my tank for almost 4 years. I saw him about 2 months ago for the first time in over 3 years. Forgot 100% he was even in my tank!!! Figured he died years ago but he came out to eat one morning and then went to the back of my rock work that I assume he has been living at For years. I have seen him 2 or 3 times now that I know what part of the tank he is at. Now I’m wondering what else is alive in the back of my rock work that in have not seen.
isnt that the coolest thing? Last week I saw my porcelain crab that I added a year ago and never saw again and totally forgot about. It totally made my day to know it was still there, and about double the size of when I had put it in. I find it amazing.

OP
OP
TheTruTaric

TheTruTaric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow incredible

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never saw any molt from him? Mine molts like once every month or two same with the cleaner and banded.

reefingaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never saw any molt from him? Mine molts like once every month or two same with the cleaner and banded.
NOTHING!! not a sign he was alive for years. Now that i know he’s in the tank I have seen him 3-4 times the last few months. Still no molts even as I look for them. With others I would find on the wavemaker but this guy is a freak of nature and master in disguise! Hahah he still in the tank though

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOTHING!! not a sign he was alive for years. Now that i know he’s in the tank I have seen him 3-4 times the last few months. Still no molts even as I look for them. With others I would find on the wavemaker but this guy is a freak of nature and master in disguise! Hahah he still in the tank though
Mine hides but I see him everyday and he comes out a lot at night.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back