How to do you know when your snail is about to die?

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, yesterday, one of my turbo snail fell on his back and was like that for a couple of hours probably. The reason I haven’t helped it sooner was because he fell on his back in a corner that my eyes cannot see from my bed. I look at my tank every day to occasionnaly save my snails and look at my fish. After noticing him, I placed him on a rock and made sure he didn’t fell and also to see if he’ll move again. A few hours later, he fell again on his back. I placed it on a rock again. Every time he fell, his door was closed up And no smell is coming out of it. he fell again this morning and I saved him from dying And placed it somewhere else and it moved again. To again fall again. I hate putting my hands in my tank, but will do it if necessary and maintenance. I just avoid invading my fish’s home For no real good reasons.

He still has his disk/door, which is good. He somehow jumped or fell again after placing it again on a rock, but not on his back and I don‘t see his foot or parts of it. I only have them since December 2023 As well. What is going on with my turbo snail? Is it something to worry about?

I have a life and I need to sleep as well. I’m not gonna make myself sick over a snail that keeps falling on his back.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have other snails? how are they doing? I've found that larger snails like turbos can be more sensitive to water chemistry issues than smaller ones like ceriths. Maybe place it upright on the sand/bottom rather than a rock so it can pull itself together without tumbling off a rock.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
personally, when i see the same snail or group of snails keep flipping over i usually assume there is something wrong with the water, or they're dying. most of my snails aside from the astrea/ninja star snails can right themselves, but i occasionally buy 4 of each to add in for my small group of hermits. i do see empty shells here and there so i take some out and let them fight it out.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Place it on the sand in a way that it can't fall off a rock.
If it falls over and doesn't right itself, it's probably near the end for it.
This is just a fact of life with saltwater snails. They die for no apparent reason.

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other snails with gather around and tell the sick one how great it was and what an efficient part of the CUC it was. "No one ate GHA like you Jerry" they'll say. The sick one will probably discuss which corals and rocks it will leave to it's immediate family and friends, and then request to be alone for his final moments before finally ascending to Snail Valhalla to gorge on algae with its ancestors.

That's my tank at least....

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have other snails? how are they doing? I've found that larger snails like turbos can be more sensitive to water chemistry issues than smaller ones like ceriths. Maybe place it upright on the sand/bottom rather than a rock so it can pull itself together without tumbling off a rock.
My other snails are doing great. Just that this one fell on his back for several hours because he was behind a rock.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally, when i see the same snail or group of snails keep flipping over i usually assume there is something wrong with the water, or they're dying. most of my snails aside from the astrea/ninja star snails can right themselves, but i occasionally buy 4 of each to add in for my small group of hermits. i do see empty shells here and there so i take some out and let them fight it out.
I only have turbos and colonistas. One colonista died and the rest are doing fine.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be cold or uncaring but you really just have to expect losses. There's a reason you buy snails 50 at a time.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be cold or uncaring but you really just have to expect losses. There's a reason you buy snails 50 at a time.
I only have a 33 gallon tank. It’s not like I could put 100 turbo snails in it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back