How can we make our hobby more "Green"?

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't me green as in covered in algae.

I'm interested in all the employed, or reasonable to pull off methods, of reduce, reuse, recycle as it relates to our hobby?

I'll start:

RODI waste- water a garden/plants bonus if you have a rain barrel you can also fill a watering can if you have indoor plants, fill ponds or pools, vehicle or gear rinse, doggy bath, fill toilet tanks, fill washing machines.

Fleece rollers/filter floss- stop using it. Filter socks are so easy to employ and pretty darn easy to wash. Ideally you'd route your washer discharge though a filter sock on a utility since to catch micro plastics out puts.

Water change water- If you're not vacuuming your sand bed AND you're pest free donating to someone who's cycling a tank can be very helpful or people with dirty FOWLR especially at higher volumes. (Don't discharge to the ocean please) also helpful for QT tank water changes if you meet the above criteria.

Old glass tanks- QT tanks, sumps, water mixing container, reptile and amphibian tanks, green house tanks, you'd be surprised the amount of people looking for tanks with small cracks for reptiles on craigslist/Facebook marketplace/freecycle

Old acrylic tanks- pretty much everything above plus cut down the large panes for scrap later fotlr misc projects like frag racks, sump baffles, skimmer stands etc.

Old carbon- depending on what you use in your tank chemical wise you can add it to compost and use for soil fill.

Old non-led lights- recycle at the very least, they can also be used in other applications for signage or lighting where par/color shift doesn't matter much.

Old and or partially burnt out LEDs- fish room or under stand lighting, give them away to your local or non-local DIYer (many people would be willing to pay shipping for your not overly damaged LEDS as they can often be scavenged for parts

PVC and hose cast offs from your plumbing- great for QT tanks (I strongly suggest painting a dark color with Krylon fusion or something as white isn't ideal for fish), also keep those 3"+ scraps I can't tell you how many times I've needed to shorten or just slightly lenghten plumbing projects.

Old tank sand- Use for ground fill, driveway traction in the winter, or give away there are some people willing to put the work in to wash the sand for reuse.

Old tank rock- rinse, cure, and reuse, give away to someone who will rinse, cure, and reuse, can be used by someone with FOWLR or cichlid tanks if you used copper or something on them.

Aptasia- check and see if someone is breeding aptasia eating Nudi or training a file fish before drying out those unrecoverable chunks of live rock

Asterina stars- if you're scraping them off in large quantities, first sorry, second see if someone local has harlequin shrimp.

Macro algae- if you're harvesting cheato or whatever else see if you can give it away to someone starting up a fuge also it can be composted

RODI filtration- Look for rechargable resin or refillable resin cartridges

Frag plugs- once you've cut your coral off let them dry off to kill any potential pests then toss um in your sump. They'll be cured next time you need to frag something.

Live rock rubble from aquascaping- same thing toss the rubble in your sump or unused back chamber, it makes great bio filtration. they also make awesome looking frag "plugs" that blend into aquascaping, If you have a pest free tank consider donating to someone starting up a tank. Can also be used for "pod piles".

Shells from dead snails or hermits.- if there's no biomatter in them but you find them unsightly on your sand bed drop them back behind your live rock. Hermits will kill snails for their shells if they can't find readily available shells once they've outgrown theirs

Frag cups and fish bags- rinse these and keep them in the back of your fish closet. So much plastic that doesn't need to go to waste. Use them next time you sell corals. Putting those cups inside a bag is a great way to prevent leaks in the event the frag cup starts leaking. If you're accumulating large amounts of cups you're not using. See if your local fraggers want them before resorting to tossing them in your recycle bin.

Fish shipping containers and packing- keep them or give them away to your local fraggers. If you're gonna move your tank any time soon they're great for transport. Pro-tip: if you find yourself in need of shipping containers try your local fish store, PetSmart, or Petco moat of the time they just throw them out anyway. Super pro-tip: a lot of places get their fish in mylar coated bubble wrap sleeves instead of foam boxes. Cut the two side seams until theyre long sheets of mylar coated bubble wrap give them a rinse/dry them out and use them for reflective heat barriers in your attic. We had a guy come in for every fish shipment we got a PetSmart back in the day. We have him all the mylar coated bubble wrap and he brought in pictures many months later. He has done all his rafters in something like 800 square foot attic.

Dead coral skeletons- not the best LR honestly but if you've got large size/quantities give them away on marketplace/craigslist etc. Many jewelry and decor makers love them for projects.

I could keep going but I wanna see what others have.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All great ideas.

Can’t think of a whole lot off the top of my head, other than using the little frag cups to help leathers/mushrooms attach to some rubble (dead coral skeletons are great for this). Usually you can put them in the cup with some rubble in a low flow area and you don’t even need to cover it, if you do need to cover it, either use some old media bags (the larger the mesh the better), or if the cup has a lid (specimen/urine cups), you can drill tons of 1/3” holes in it, it allows enough light in while not letting the coral float out.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be possible to regenerate carbon. Also, has anyone tried using old carbon blocks in BBQs?

ReefDragon420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm interested in all the employed, or reasonable to pull off methods, of reduce, reuse, recycle as it relates to our hobby?

I'll start:

RODI waste- water a garden/plants bonus if you have a rain barrel you can also fill a watering can if you have indoor plants, fill ponds or pools, vehicle or gear rinse, doggy bath, fill toilet tanks, fill washing machines.

Fleece rollers/filter floss- stop using it. Filter socks are so easy to employ and pretty darn easy to wash. Ideally you'd route your washer discharge though a filter sock on a utility since to catch micro plastics out puts.

Water change water- If you're not vacuuming your sand bed AND you're pest free donating to someone who's cycling a tank can be very helpful or people with dirty FOWLR especially at higher volumes. (Don't discharge to the ocean please) also helpful for QT tank water changes if you meet the above criteria.

Old glass tanks- QT tanks, sumps, water mixing container, reptile and amphibian tanks, green house tanks, you'd be surprised the amount of people looking for tanks with small cracks for reptiles on craigslist/Facebook marketplace/freecycle

Old acrylic tanks- pretty much everything above plus cut down the large panes for scrap later fotlr misc projects like frag racks, sump baffles, skimmer stands etc.

Old carbon- depending on what you use in your tank chemical wise you can add it to compost and use for soil fill.

Old non-led lights- recycle at the very least, they can also be used in other applications for signage or lighting where par/color shift doesn't matter much.

Old and or partially burnt out LEDs- fish room or under stand lighting, give them away to your local or non-local DIYer (many people would be willing to pay shipping for your not overly damaged LEDS as they can often be scavenged for parts

PVC and hose cast offs from your plumbing- great for QT tanks (I strongly suggest painting a dark color with Krylon fusion or something as white isn't ideal for fish), also keep those 3"+ scraps I can't tell you how many times I've needed to shorten or just slightly lenghten plumbing projects.

Old tank sand- Use for ground fill, driveway traction in the winter, or give away there are some people willing to put the work in to wash the sand for reuse.

Old tank rock- rinse, cure, and reuse, give away to someone who will rinse, cure, and reuse, can be used by someone with FOWLR or cichlid tanks if you used copper or something on them.

Aptasia- check and see if someone is breeding aptasia eating Nudi or training a file fish before drying out those unrecoverable chunks of live rock

Asterina stars- if you're scraping them off in large quantities, first sorry, second see if someone local has harlequin shrimp.

Macro algae- if you're harvesting cheato or whatever else see if you can give it away to someone starting up a fuge also it can be composted

Frag plugs- once you've cut your coral off let them dry off to kill any potential pests then toss um in your sump. They'll be cured next time you need to frag something.

Live rock rubble from aquascaping- same thing toss the rubble in your sump or unused back chamber, it makes great bio filtration. they also make awesome looking frag "plugs" that blend into aquascaping, If you have a pest free tank consider donating to someone starting up a tank. Can also be used for "pod piles".

Shells from dead snails or hermits.- if there's no biomatter in them but you find them unsightly on your sand bed drop them back behind your live rock. Hermits will kill snails for their shells if they can't find readily available shells once they've outgrown theirs

Frag cups and fish bags- rinse these and keep them in the back of your fish closet. So much plastic that doesn't need to go to waste. Use them next time you sell corals. Putting those cups inside a bag is a great way to prevent leaks in the event the frag cup starts leaking. If you're accumulating large amounts of cups you're not using. See if your local fraggers want them before resorting to tossing them in your recycle bin.

Fish shipping containers and packing- keep them or give them away to your local fraggers. If you're gonna move your tank any time soon they're great for transport. Pro-tip: if you find yourself in need of shipping containers try your local fish store, PetSmart, or Petco moat of the time they just throw them out anyway. Super pro-tip: a lot of places get their fish in mylar coated bubble wrap sleeves instead of foam boxes. Cut the two side seams until theyre long sheets of mylar coated bubble wrap give them a rinse/dry them out and use them for reflective heat barriers in your attic. We had a guy come in for every fish shipment we got a PetSmart back in the day. We have him all the mylar coated bubble wrap and he brought in pictures many months later. He has done all his rafters in something like 800 square foot attic.

Dead coral skeletons- not the best LR honestly but if you've got large size/quantities give them away on marketplace/craigslist etc. Many jewelry and decor makers love them for projects.

Wow

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When doing water changes a use the saltwater to kill weeds in my front yard and also it deters some ants. I wasn't Doing it early spring. Found several ant colonies in my yard. Took old salt water from wc and poured it on the colonies. It works for me.

N1gh7m4r3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll start:

I’m still reading and learning about the hobby. I’m curious as to why your waste saltwater shouldn’t be put into the ocean if that were an option available to you. TIA

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop buying wild caught fish and coral as much as possible. Stop using filter floss (I think its polyester and I don't believe that actually degrades much), boohoo you have to rinse a filter pad or sock lol. Find alternatives to water changes.

ReefDragon420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between our canister filter, led light and air bubbles I believe in total we are less than 200 watts, smaller solar panel and batter could possibly run it 24/7 without being ‘on the grid’ but I believe we have done well considering the usage is quite low. In my opinion of course.

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still reading and learning about the hobby. I’m curious as to why your waste saltwater shouldn’t be put into the ocean if that were an option available to you. TIA
RODI waste water maybe but not tank waste water. The risk of cross contamination a d introducing something that wasn't there before it too much.of a risk imo

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The b

I'll start:

The best way to reduce you footprint is not to recycle but rather not do that thing that causes the damage in the first place. Using a solar panel to offset your electricity may be fine but think of all the damage going into making that solar panel in the first place (as a for instance). If you really care about the environment, why do this in the first place?

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The b

The best way to reduce you footprint is not to recycle but rather not do that thing that causes the damage in the first place. Using a solar panel to offset your electricity may be fine but think of all the damage going into making that solar panel in the first place (as a for instance). If you really care about the environment, why do this in the first place?

Where does your power come from? Coal, oil, nuclear, wind, solar, oil, ethanol, hamsters, NG. If you're in the US there's a better than even change it comes from NG or coal neither of which will ever end up with a negative carbon footprint. Additionally ingesting in those types of energy sources but purchasing energy derived from power companies will not result in a negative carbon footprint. However getting energy from solar, wind, various "hydro" sources will only lead to more efficient energy production and better methods for recycling by products of their creation. There is "no energy source" that doesn't create some sort of waste that's environmentally harmful but only a handful that are or are leading to consistent negative carbon footprint/waste solar, hydro, wind, nuclear, and some plant derived ones.

Regardless off topic and doesn't contribute significantly to the point of this thread.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because it could introduce non-native bacteria/microfauna that could become invasive.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The b

Kind of rolling off this, personal choice but one can take a moment and consider the size of the aquarium and how it's run. A smaller reef aquarium run without mechanical and chemical filtration (and the associated packaging that comes with those products) is about as eco-friendly as we're going to get and still be able to enjoy our hobby.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of rolling off this, personal choice but one can take a moment and consider the size of the aquarium and how it's run. A smaller reef aquarium run without mechanical and chemical filtration (and the associated packaging that comes with those products) is about as eco-friendly as we're going to get and still be able to enjoy our hobby.
And this hits at the heart of my comment . Instead of token gestures on what to do with the by products and waste products of your aquarium, create less by products in the first place. I know it’s not a popular point.

However so that I am not accused of not contributing to this thread and these are things I do:

I feed the dead fish to the neighbors cat
I use the saltwater from water changes on my sidewalk during winter for a de icer

Last edited:

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greenhouse. Solar. Geothermal closed loops for water as well as air temp control.

Education, planting the seed for the future:

Currently doing sustainable aquaculture co-op with pharmaceutical development, Sinularia.

20210424_164254~4.jpg
FB_IMG_1559268619680~2.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 40 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.1%
Back