How can we make our hobby more "Green"?

Greenhouse. Solar. Geothermal closed loops for water as well as air temp control.

Education, planting the seed for the future:
https://issues.org/p_bruckner-coral-reefs-importance/https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2014/184959/
Currently doing sustainable aquaculture co-op with pharmaceutical development, Sinularia.

20210424_164254~4.jpg
FB_IMG_1559268619680~2.jpg
This last picture is hilarious, the girl in the back on the right is just so unimpressed by the boy in the front on the right.
 
You covered a lot of things. Not sure I agree with all of them (because I wouldn't ever be so compulsive) - but you get an A++ for ideas.

1. I have considered a small solar panel to help with electricity.
2. Minimize use of equipment , tests, i.e. purchase what you need (I think we overdo automation, testing, etc.
3. Use energy efficient equipment
4. Reef responsibly - such that there aren't fish deaths, coral needing replacement every month, etc.

Someone mentioned using salt-water to kill weeds. In some locations, its against the law to empty saltwater anywhere near a storm sewer (or where rain could rinse it into a storm sewer).

Thanks to the OP for an interesting discussion
 
Stop buying wild caught fish and coral as much as possible. Stop using filter floss (I think its polyester and I don't believe that actually degrades much), boohoo you have to rinse a filter pad or sock lol. Find alternatives to water changes.
Filter socks (at least the one's I have used) - contain plastic, also require replacement at times. Filter floss - on the other hand - can be rinsed and re-used - and you don't need that much. But - this made me think of another way to 'save' - stop washing filter socks in the washing machine. They just need to be rinsed.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new