How close is too close for sps corals?

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers.

I have been keeping sps for only a short while now (6 months), but am happy to say I have had decent growth and 0 loss so far!

However, I am now in a little bind: because of the growth of stylophoras and birdsnest my acros seem to be surrounded now. How much of an issue is it, particularly regarding coral warfare ?

In the following picture, you can see how I placed the acros, stylos and birdsnest on a top rock in the scape. However, my myagi tort and tricolor valida frags, more recent acquisitions, are still in the encrusting phase, and being overtaken by the stylophora and neon green birdnest in the front.

Will post more pictures soon.

Thanks

20200731_190504.jpg

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it might be trimming time. Usually as long as theres .5-1 inch in between them its ok, but PE can be negatively affected if they're too clse together. SPS USUALLY do not have very active sweepers.

OP
OP
Fernthereefer

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it might be trimming time. Usually as long as theres .5-1 inch in between them its ok, but PE can be negatively affected if they're too clse together. SPS USUALLY do not have very active sweepers.

Cool, thanks for the reply. Are stylo's or Birdsnest more aggressive, or is the outcome impossible to predict?

Tx

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stylos and birdsnests will outgrow and kill most acropora if they are not trimmed or controlled in some way. As I'm sure you are experiencing, they grow very fast for sps. They are not inherently aggressive, per se, but have the ability to outcompete and kill on contact.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion, if you like Acropora best, or think you might in the long run, then it's best ditch things now. Clearing a reef of these corals early on will save you grief down the road.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back