How come some frags I see are brown?

Cuda

Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a brown chalice frag dead or dieing or is it just a stage from being moved or cut.
Should I avoid a brown frag? What causes loss of color?

BigRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress and poor lighting can cause most any frag to "brown out". I wouldnt neccasarily avoid a brown frag... there are a lot of people out there that have purchased a brown frag and have it turn into something incredible!

tc269

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like brown frags they are like little suprises (whats it going to look like) and they are usually cheaper. just make sure you have good water quality and it should be fine.

ddr_phish

Coral Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of chalices will brown-out temporarily after being cut. My Ktar's Melting Pot was cut back in the middle of April and is just now starting to get some deeper coloration.

afboundguy

acanaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a huge oregon tort for a very good price and it was brown, so brown I thought it was miss ID'd by the guy I bought it from even though he clearly knows his stuff... It has since started to color up really nicely and I think I just got a frag from the underside of his colony that was growing up against the glass (flat spot on the frag) so it wasn't getting great light...

So I say brown doesn't have to mean it's bad...

seascape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brown isnt all that bad ive gotten quite a feww things cheap and they turned out to be very nice pieces

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every chalice i have ever purchase was brown when i got it. when i frag they will sometimes brown out for a bit as well. next time your at your LFS and see some brown ugly chalice for sheap buy it and bring it home. you will almost always be very glad you did

twinspots_goby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About comments are true. But you need to know that some corals turn into brown easily and some do not. If you are suppose to get a frag of OME, and it looks brown when you get it, then there is a high chance that you got a something something else.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back