Blasto with dead heads

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve got a blasto that went south I believe due to me about a month or two ago. Since then it’s seems to come back strong on certain heads

Do I need to remove the still dead looking ones or is there a chance they will come back also?

The ones that have not came back as you can see are browned and harden looking. I’m just not sure if I’ll damage the healthy portions by separating it.

Thanks for any suggestions and help!

OP
OP
spielco

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just realized it never took the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_2438.jpeg
    IMG_2438.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
spielco

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Give them a few more weeks to recover. If they're dead for sure, I'd frag by cutting thru the dead heads.
I just posted the pic. I believe the back left heads are goners.

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a blasto that went south I believe due to me about a month or two ago. Since then it’s seems to come back strong on certain heads

Do I need to remove the still dead looking ones or is there a chance they will come back also?

The ones that have not came back as you can see are browned and harden looking. I’m just not sure if I’ll damage the healthy portions by separating it.

I would leave it, I had exactly the same experience as @Kellie in CA had, mine died in a tank crash and a few months later this tiny pen dot spec started to grow again and has made a remarkable rebound considering it was just skeleton!

OP
OP
spielco

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh yeah, they look empty. When you chop them off, just take care not to damage the adjacent live flesh
Only tool I’ve got for help currently is a bone cutters for frag. Would that be safe enough you think to cut back the dead skeleton

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't use bone cutters on that, I'd go with a rotary cutting tool in absence of a wet saw. I've seen this tool used with success, also linking a video guide below: https://amzn.to/3VkgS80. you can also use a dremel if you have one already.

Then again, you're just removing dead skeleton, so it might be fine.

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I leave them. They may grow back over them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back