How concerned should I be?

Clowns-corals-cats

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I have a 6 month old reef tank 10 gallons. I bought the tank used but all equipment is new. I just noticed some of the seal near the top peeling off. How pressing is this issue? I'm already planning a bigger build right now but is this cause for immediate action? Thanks!

IMG_20210818_154522.jpg IMG_20210818_154511.jpg

renzema

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be concerned just yet. Is the silicone still spongy feeling? old silicone gets brittle. The seam inbetween the glass joint is where you get concerned as long as that is still intact and no bubbles you are good.

Tough to tell but are there any bubble in the seam?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's what my 60g looks like. Scraped off a lot of the silicon and it held still. 10g isn't going to do much. It has bracing at least.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks so it should still be fine for quite awhile then?
How old is the tank? As another posted stated.
I wouldn't be concerned just yet. Is the silicone still spongy feeling? old silicone gets brittle. The seam inbetween the glass joint is where you get concerned as long as that is still intact and no bubbles you are good.

Tough to tell but are there any bubble in the seam?
This is what you are looking for, when a tank begins to fail.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seal between glass panes appears perfectly fine. The silicone on the outside is getting beat up but at ten gallons I wouldn’t be concerned. I had the same problem in my 60g cube. Now I just let the algae build when it gets that close to the silicone

OP
OP
Clowns-corals-cats

Clowns-corals-cats

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is what you are looking for, when a tank begins to fail.

This is what you are looking for, when a tank begi
The seal between glass panes appears perfectly fine. The silicone on the outside is getting beat up but at ten gallons I wouldn’t be concerned. I had the same problem in my 60g cube. Now I just let the algae build when it gets that close to the silicone
I have no idea how old it is bought it used from a LFS that's why I'm a couple months out from finishing a brand new bigger build

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as the silicon isn't brittle feeling, I really wouldn't worry. 10g isn't a lot of pressure to force a leak on the seams. The brace is still intact (not broken). You should be fine. Broken top frame means there's a lot of pressure at the top and the seams could fail. I wouldn't scrape too close to the silicon and just clean around it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back