OP
OP
G

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stated accuracy for that checker is +\- 5ppb +5%. So for a reading of 30 ppb your sample should actually be within the range of 23.5-36.5. So getting multiple tests that are within 4ppb is completely within margin of error.

So were the tests done with a reading of 200ppb tested from water from the same tank? I guess that’s the part that I’m confused about. I originally thought you tested your tank and got a reading of 30 with one batch of reagents and got a reading of 200 for the same tank from the other batch or reagents.
Yeah

i tested water 3 times with old reagent, 200ppb all 3 times. I retested with new agent with the same procedure and got acceptable results ~30ppb 3 times.

Original question was whether reagents had external factors that could affect reliability and the likelihood that I had reagents that were “wack or bad” even though they were within the exp date.

I have compared Phosphorus naming on packets to checker, to make sure it’s phosphorus and not phosphate but no confirmed number yet I am out of town til Friday

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, just thinking of all the steps of Tritration is making my head spin! I don’t miss all the steps and the excessive cleanup. Take the L brother and come back to the dark side, lol. Have you tried emailing them? I’m sure they’ll have no problem sending a new one out to you.
The Red Sea alk titration is only the one reagent and it isn’t bad honestly. It’s the magnesium test that I absolutely hate. I can’t wait for Hanna to get the reagents working properly on the magnesium checker.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea alk titration is only the one reagent and it isn’t bad honestly. It’s the magnesium test that I absolutely hate. I can’t wait for Hanna to get the reagents working properly on the magnesium checker.
I can’t disagree with you on that, it’s not that bad unless you’re like me and have the attention span of a flea. The mag tritration test is horrible, especially when you’re trying to count the 15 secs between 5 drops part and everyone and their mama need to ask you questions at that critical moment. Hanna is already addressing the reagent situation from what I understand. That’s definitely gonna be my next test kit from hanna.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t disagree with you on that, it’s not that bad unless you’re like me and have the attention span of a flea. The mag tritration test is horrible, especially when you’re trying to count the 15 secs between 5 drops part and everyone and their mama need to ask you questions at that critical moment. Hanna is already addressing the reagent situation from what I understand. That’s definitely gonna be my next test kit from hanna.
I can’t count how many times I’ve had to restart a magnesium test because I forgot which drop number I was on. Definitely buying the checker for it once I find them in stock and I hear they’re working better.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t count how many times I’ve had to restart a magnesium test because I forgot which drop number I was on. Definitely buying the checker for it once I find them in stock and I hear they’re working better.
Throwing away a perfectly good test because of a misstep is sooooo frustrating. I’ve done it a few times, even with my hanna tests :face-in-clouds:.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over 1 dKh off is more than I’m willing be alright with. I went through several bottles of reagent before I had one that was an issue, and honestly I should just buy a new bottle and start using it again.
I can agree that it is easier than a titration test. Although even the titration test for alk isn’t that bad.
End of my last bottle was off my 2dkh but only once it was nearly gone. thought I was getting back up to 8 dkh was actually up to 10. Burned tips on a couple of corals. Refrigerating my reagent now and once I get to the bottom 3rd ill periodicly confirm the results with a new bottle.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
End of my last bottle was off my 2dkh but only once it was nearly gone. thought I was getting back up to 8 dkh was actually up to 10. Burned tips on a couple of corals. Refrigerating my reagent now and once I get to the bottom 3rd ill periodicly confirm the results with a new bottle.
I’ve never had it to where a bottle gets less accurate over time. I would probably catch it anyway because when I use my Hanna for alk it’s almost always just verifying my trident results.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had it to where a bottle gets less accurate over time. I would probably catch it anyway because when I use my Hanna for alk it’s almost always just verifying my trident results.
I will primarily use my Hanna for checking alk. I wasn't refrigerating my reagent and would notice a drift in accuracy as time went on and the reagent got depleted. I think @Lasse Had a long post about this a while back I remember seeing. Im probably going to once a month start confirming my Hanna tests against my red sea test kits.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All magnesium test kits are terrible. I have Salifert 1320, Red sea 1380 and AquaForest 1450 all tell me different results. Also have three Salifert mag test kits all give me different results 1320,1350 and 1380. Everyone say "marginal of error. Well i guess you ill just shoot for the moon. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Ive gone through 4-5 bottles of alk in my Hanna and they have all been within .2 of each bottles and no refrigeration.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All magnesium test kits are terrible. I have Salifert 1320, Red sea 1380 and AquaForest 1450 all tell me different results. Also have three Salifert mag test kits all give me different results 1320,1350 and 1380. Everyone say "marginal of error. Well i guess you ill just shoot for the moon. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Ive gone through 4-5 bottles of alk in my Hanna and they have all been within .2 of each bottles and no refrigeration.
This coupled with the long test procedure is probably why my method of mag testing turned to looking at water surface from bottom up. If it’s like a clean mirror then I’m good, if it looks like it’s got a film, it’s time to see what’s up.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna only for phosphate and copper

salifert for everything else

Also recently been using Hanna nitrate which seems to be good as well

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have picked up a Phosphorus ULR colorimeter, and between the reagents that came included in the package that expire 6 months + from now and the reagents I just bought produced about 5 “lots” later (expiring late 2023) the tests in the same vials are 200ppb vs 30ppb within expected margins

how inconsistent are Hanna reagents? Is it because of shipping?
I am having same trouble. I also got reagents expiring jn 2023. I will post lot number.
And my phosphorus ulr is reading 200 for 3 different tanks.
200 is the upper limit for this checker and I think this reagent is bad.
Anyone has any idea of Hanna has a database if reagents that are bad.

Any other people having trouble with phosphorus ulr reagents expiring in 6months.
And yes I have been using my checker since 2013. Please check my join in date.

So I know how to get consistent results.
This was my most accurate checker. Even thought it is considered pain in butt compared to phosphates ulr.
I loved it.

Please update if people are having trouble. Checker expire in 6 months 2023. I bought it from champion lighting.

OP
OP
G

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having same trouble. I also got reagents expiring jn 2023. I will post lot number.
And my phosphorus ulr is reading 200 for 3 different tanks.
200 is the upper limit for this checker and I think this reagent is bad.
Anyone has any idea of Hanna has a database if reagents that are bad.

Any other people having trouble with phosphorus ulr reagents expiring in 6months.
And yes I have been using my checker since 2013. Please check my join in date.

So I know how to get consistent results.
This was my most accurate checker. Even thought it is considered pain in butt compared to phosphates ulr.
I loved it.

Please update if people are having trouble. Checker expire in 6 months 2023. I bought it from champion lighting.
Unsure of original source of reagents, I can post lot number if I still have any I will check. New reagents have produced believable readings (changing w skimmer timing variations & dosing phos)

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unsure of original source of reagents, I can post lot number if I still have any I will check. New reagents have produced believable readings (changing w skimmer timing variations & dosing phos)
Just stumbled into this thread and had to do a double take. Any chance those reagents are the same batch you got from me? Checked my logs and I read 200 ish ppb for 3weeks while I was using the old reagents and then once I switched to some newer ones have not gone above 70ppb. Thought my tank was just maturing but faulty reagents seems more likely. Didn’t think anything of it at the time!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.9%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.1%
Back