How did the acanthastrea go long term?

Mark Novack

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 27, 2018
Messages
700
Reaction score
678
Location
Belgium
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before Euphylia came into popularity, I remember it was the Acan rush. They quickly went from 80 dollars for a nice specimen to 80 dollars for a polyp or two. I had many beauties but they were not aggressive growers and eventually withered away.

Now there is a surplus of technicolor acans at democratic pricing. Are they worth installing into a well growing aquarium or are they too finicky? Experiences? Will they cover a plate rock and grow with the acropora or just stagnate and look pretty?

Thanks,
Mark
 
I'd give it a shot. I had one that grew a lot before a tank crash. Wasn't a "designer" one. I got a frag as a freebie recently and it died but it was actually growing before I dropped another coral on top and it got stung to death. I didn't really have a great place for it anyways. They seem pretty hardy these days though.
 
Love em. Great brain corals. Don't get a filefish or butterflyfish or angelfish and your good. Lol.
I was their with you when the colony cost what the frags do now. Lol
It is what it is.
D
 
Before Euphylia came into popularity, I remember it was the Acan rush. They quickly went from 80 dollars for a nice specimen to 80 dollars for a polyp or two. I had many beauties but they were not aggressive growers and eventually withered away.

Now there is a surplus of technicolor acans at democratic pricing. Are they worth installing into a well growing aquarium or are they too finicky? Experiences? Will they cover a plate rock and grow with the acropora or just stagnate and look pretty?

Thanks,
Mark

I have a rock wall of these guys that started from single/dual polyps, so yes they can do well in a mature reef aquarium with a few caveats.

IME, if placed in suitable medium light/medium flow the most important factor is feeding. 1x/wk to maintain original size/very slow growth, 2x/wk for medium growth, 3x/wk or more for faster growth. They also really don't like being irritated by other organisms, so keep them away from stinging corals and pests (aiptasia, hydroids, etc.).
 
Last edited:
OK! 22 June is a big day at Reef Corner. Its hand picked coral day. I'll be looking closely at some acans. And favites, and chalice, and fungia...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new