How did you SKIN/Paint your tank stand/canopy

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many threads on builds... and one of my favorite parts are the stand builds.
Absolutely amazing talented people building their own stands.

The basic structure is pretty straight forward (most of the time) - I am hoping some people will share tips/tricks in skinning their tanks.

So this applies to people who got steel/8020 stands as well.
Tips/Tricks on how to skin a tank and make it look so seamless without visible woodlines, nail marks, etc.

And finally - painting your stand.
What kind of paint, coating, wax, steps.

Would immensely help people who are wanting to build something on their own, and are DIYers but need some guidance and direction on this part of their builds.

OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
woah - finatik - that looks pretty awesome.

Although - i think it may only work for those whose sumps are either in a basement or in a fish room.

Love the idea though.

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes... Well my sump system is inside my stand so I will design my skins to have doors on the front of the stand using light-weight faux stone panels which can be purchased here:
https://www.fauxpanels.com
This is not my tank, but my skin will be designed to look more like this:
20180422_202049.jpg

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am "planning" to skin both of my 120Gs with Faux Stone. This is not my tank. I saw this picture on Facebook and think it looks really awesome !

20180422_202015.jpg

20180502_103927.jpg

Is that stuff heavy? How you moving the tank? or is it staying there? Im guessing your going to push it to the wall and that closet is your filtration room. Don't crack that tile!

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that stuff heavy? How you moving the tank? or is it staying there? Im guessing your going to push it to the wall and that closet is your filtration room. Don't crack that tile!

The tank pictured above is not my tank, however, faux stone is not heavy. It's faux.
I'm not sure what that guy is using on his stand, but I'll be using faux stone panels on mine. They are no heavier than a piece of plywood.

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sticking around and will try and give you some tips later on. If you could give me more details of what you are looking for it would help... If not then I will put something together to cover the topics you first posted

OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sticking around and will try and give you some tips later on. If you could give me more details of what you are looking for it would help... If not then I will put something together to cover the topics you first posted

Thanks Chris.

I am going to share my planned structure. See attached sketchup extract
but i am open to ideas about the skin.

A few things i am trying to incorporate

1. Contemporary doors instead of being OUTSIDE the main body - embedded into it. See attached pic of black stand. (these doors would go on the two ends far left and far right)
2. Deeper embedded shelf doors for decor and depth for the sump area under the main tank. see pic of another stand i took from the forum.

so trying to incorporate all that.

thoughts?

my stand.JPG

Fish_Tank_Stand_large.jpg

DSCF0540.JPG

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok couple more questions...Stain, paint, or coating(formica, laminate)?

Tool list?

Skill set? How handy?

OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok couple more questions...Stain, paint, or coating(formica, laminate)?

Tool list?

Skill set? How handy?

Tool list first.
I got a planer, a miter saw, and working to get a table saw.
The rest of the basic tools i have already.

Coating.
This is what i am most unfamiliar with.
Any wax/stain/pain/coating - i need recommendation on.
I am not looking for a traditional look. open to ideas on this.

Skill set -
I am fairly confident DIYer. I absolutely LOVE wood working, but i am just starting into this.
I do the rest of projects at home myself. Not afraid of diving into things.

OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folowing along this thread already has a lot of cool inspiration

absolutely - i meant to start this thread for everyone to Share their process, ways, and ideas.

Chris is just being kind and helping - so i am pointing out what i am trying to do.

But mainly - i am hoping people will share what they did, and HOW they did it so EVERYONE can learn a thing or two.

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coating.
This is what i am most unfamiliar with.
Any wax/stain/pain/coating - i need recommendation on.
I am not looking for a traditional look. open to ideas on this.

Lets start here!!

Stain is going to be for a natural lumber look or to use a lower budget lumber and make it the color wood that you like . Along with stain you have to put some kind of clear coat. Staining or just putting a clear coat on is a little more tedious because you have to sand on all exposed surface area. You will have to sand with various grit sandpaper. I usually start with 80 grit and finish with at least 320 grit.
Sand everything before you put it together(not always that simple). Then apply stain or clear coat. I usually use a minwax stain and apply with a rag just wiping it on then wipe off with a clean rag I don't let it sit for more than about 15 seconds. Just keep applying until you like the color. If I just do a clear coat I usually thin it down for the first coat so it soaks a little better and apply with a soft bristle brush. When you do the rest of the coats I usually use an animal hair brush(usually badger hair) and brush the whole piece from one side all the way to the otherside following the grain. Sand in between coats after the first coat with at least 320 grit 400 would be better. Hope this helps for now I will try and get back later.

I know I didn't put all the details but I will give you more info. when you start to lean towards one way or the other.

If you have any question let me know!! That goes for anyone I can help out.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An 80/20 stand. I used their own vices to cover/hide the "channel" aspects of the frame and built my own reclaimed wood doors/panels.
Lots of details in my build thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/wrasse-retreat-2-0-evolveds-270g-peninsula.256483/
35174726310_709ce39a05_o.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have followed and read your build thread start to finish.
i absolutely LOVE your work, your stand, the tank and the fish.

its an epic read.
Thank you kindly :);Shamefullyembarrased

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, you don't skin the stand at all...

FTS_040118.jpg

Stand is welded steel, gloss black powder coat. Surround shelf was custom painted with coral and fish scenes, framed out with solid oak, and had two gallons of bar top epoxy poured over it. Under cabinets are 3/4" oak ply, natural clear finish to match top frame, lit by under cabinet LED's on the same timer with my blue lights. I was going to use heavy glass for the shelves, but the glass place wanted over $300 for 4 shelves. Thanks, I'll go with oak. Front is as you see it, display for knick knacks and a few books. Back shelves are split between commonly used tank accessories in plastic storage boxes, liquor bottles, and glassware.

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, you don't skin the stand at all...

FTS_040118.jpg

Stand is welded steel, gloss black powder coat. Surround shelf was custom painted with coral and fish scenes, framed out with solid oak, and had two gallons of bar top epoxy poured over it. Under cabinets are 3/4" oak ply, natural clear finish to match top frame, lit by under cabinet LED's on the same timer with my blue lights. I was going to use heavy glass for the shelves, but the glass place wanted over $300 for 4 shelves. Thanks, I'll go with oak. Front is as you see it, display for knick knacks and a few books. Back shelves are split between commonly used tank accessories in plastic storage boxes, liquor bottles, and glassware.
I really like that shelf around the tank and the set up as a whole. It must be nice when friends come over to put your drinks on there while catching up. I didn't want to cover the 80/20 bars on my stand because it adds to the contemporary modern feel I was going for.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 24.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back