OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely amazing work man. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Other reefers - please continue to chime in. I am sure people like me who will look up this thread will be grateful for the ideas.

OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@davocean

In your post on May 10th
Second picture
Where you have the doors laying on the floor

Did you paint the doors too? Or those premade?
How do you get that cabinet quality look if done yourself?

Thanks

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@davocean

In your post on May 10th
Second picture
Where you have the doors laying on the floor

Did you paint the doors too? Or those premade?
How do you get that cabinet quality look if done yourself?

Thanks

I think you mean the ones on grass, those I stained myself, but those doors in particular I ordered at my local mill, just because they can make them cheaper than I can buy material probably.
For raised panel doors it's just more efficient, it's what many in the trade do.
I'm a General Contractor, w/ my own focus on carpentry, both rough and finish, rough usually pays the bills, finish work pays the spirit!

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice stands and setups here! The following attachments are from my 300DD build in 2010 showing the use of 3/4" oak hard woods and the strength of it. My first stand I built was 2x6's, I learned you do not need all that weight and support to hold an aquarium.
300DD NEW 2010.jpg
300%20full%20tank%20shot4-8-10[2].jpg

OP
OP
xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fair enough -

the stain is my main query here - would you be kind to share the process of getting that finish?
or if its a trade secret - by all means ignore this question :)

I think you mean the ones on grass, those I stained myself, but those doors in particular I ordered at my local mill, just because they can make them cheaper than I can buy material probably.
For raised panel doors it's just more efficient, it's what many in the trade do.
I'm a General Contractor, w/ my own focus on carpentry, both rough and finish, rough usually pays the bills, finish work pays the spirit!

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fair enough -

the stain is my main query here - would you be kind to share the process of getting that finish?
or if its a trade secret - by all means ignore this question :)

No secrets, whole reason I share this stuff is to help others.
I have a very strict regimen on this to make perfect.

Sand w/ 150 first, then w/ 220
Apply stain, minwax usually, follow directions on that.
Apply 2nd coat pretty much al;ways, sometimes a 3rd if wanting darker.
Roll and or brush clear coat, minwax fast drying polyuerethane pretty much always.
Sand w/ 220, apply 2nd coat, rolled and or brushed (Not in direct sun, shade gives time for it to smooth out on it's own)
Sand w/ 320 and or a fine scotch brite pad, wipe clean w/ tack cloth.

The last step is important, clean area, usually first thing in am before winds and while still cool, and usually under a plastic tarp'd off area to keep dust off, tack cloth again, and SPRAY the last/3rd clear coat (It comes in spray cans too) , and that almost always gives a perfect or near perfect smooth glassy finish.

And no matter what, if it does not come out perfect, or you biffed it, just sand w/ 320 and do last step again, it's pretty forgiving like that.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a carpenter I've built a lot of stands for myself and others.

Basically I do the same thing, build a frame just to get the tank up and running/cycling, and then do the pretty part, so my skins work on wood frames or metal frames, they are all basically a U shape that is free standing, slides right over frame, or can even be pulled away if needed.

Once they are up against frame I don't really think you can tell it's not attached, especially once doors and ledge are on.

This can be done w/ either 1x face frame, or a solid sheet of ply, birch is pretty much my go to.

I avoid MDF when I can and don't like it for marine applications personally.

I looked through some of your other work pics and I see that you do some great work! Would you mind explaining your corners a little bit? What do they look like on the inside? Are they mitered at the corners? If these are super simple cabinet building questions, feel free to just direct me to a reference I should read before asking these questions. :)

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked through some of your other work pics and I see that you do some great work! Would you mind explaining your corners a little bit? What do they look like on the inside? Are they mitered at the corners? If these are super simple cabinet building questions, feel free to just direct me to a reference I should read before asking these questions. :)

Thank you, most everything I posted on this thread has mitered corners, w/ the exception of the one that has chair rail tied into the wall and no doors on face(Backwall garage access for gear/sump) and that one I posted as an example for those that might not be able to do mitered corners, it has quarter round for corners instead.
It's also a nice way to stretch an 8' sheet of ply to be able to wrap an 8" long tank as it bumps 3/4" each side so you can do the return walls and keep at tanks perimeter

Heezie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subbing because although my husband says he wants to skin my stand in tongue and groove, it will probably take him another year to do it unless I try to do something myself. Lol

Did you ever get a skin done? I’m deciding on which finish, now. Please post pics :)

Qbmafia444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have success or tips on how to ain’t over a anodized aluminum tslot stand?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back