How Difficult are Strawberry Shortcake Acros?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i really like this strawberry shortcake that's up for sale, the guy actually has a few of them but was wondering how difficult they are...I know acros arent easy but my tank is mature and light is definitely strong enough as well as nutrient levels being in check. I know some acros are definitely more difficult than others though so was just wondering where this one ranks on the difficulty scale. It looks to have good PE and is priced at the equivalent of about $45 (idk if that's a good deal or not).
Screenshot_2023-02-21-14-48-38-760_jp.naver.line.android.jpg
If this is your first acro, is probably not a good idea.

They are pretty fussy and also they are slow growers. It may double in size in 12 months.
Pick something easier to start. $45 is cheap

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i really like this strawberry shortcake that's up for sale, the guy actually has a few of them but was wondering how difficult they are...I know acros arent easy but my tank is mature and light is definitely strong enough as well as nutrient levels being in check. I know some acros are definitely more difficult than others though so was just wondering where this one ranks on the difficulty scale. It looks to have good PE and is priced at the equivalent of about $45 (idk if that's a good deal or not).
Screenshot_2023-02-21-14-48-38-760_jp.naver.line.android.jpg
1st acro should be green slimer or plating monti.
I had a shortcake for a year, great grower, but a stupid mistake caused alk to go up 2 points and killed it.
The montis and slimer didnt care.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st acro should be green slimer or plating monti.
I had a shortcake for a year, great grower, but a stupid mistake caused alk to go up 2 points and killed it.
The montis and slimer didnt care.
I don't see green slimers much around here at all...i have a couple digis that have shown great growth and are happy as well as an orange branching Psammacora that's very happy and a very happy clam I've had for years if that counts for anything

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They also have these acros they call "Flaming Sunrise" which look cool...would they be a better choice by chance? Bigger one is ~$30 and the slightly smaller one is ~$27 Screenshot_2023-02-22-06-58-37-114_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2023-02-22-06-57-04-776_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see green slimers much around here at all...i have a couple digis that have shown great growth and are happy as well as an orange branching Psammacora that's very happy and a very happy clam I've had for years if that counts for anything
$45 sounds like a good price. Looks like a nice piece. You can decide if you want to risk it.
I did replace mine.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bet the fragments are cut straight from wild colonies and healed. Probably not the best choice for your first acropora, but if you can pick it up in person I would say go for it. If it was from someone who has had it in captivity for a while then I would say go for it.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bet the fragments are cut straight from wild colonies and healed. Probably not the best choice for your first acropora, but if you can pick it up in person I would say go for it. If it was from someone who has had it in captivity for a while then I would say go for it.
They've had it for over 3 months

Last edited:
OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys, i decided to pull the trigger and order it...i actually did get a small discount so it costed ~$41

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They also have these acros they call "Flaming Sunrise" which look cool...would they be a better choice by chance? Bigger one is ~$30 and the slightly smaller one is ~$27 Screenshot_2023-02-22-06-58-37-114_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2023-02-22-06-57-04-776_jp.naver.line.android.jpg
Looks like the Malaysian speciousa… it’s a slow grower but way cool piece.. that’s an amazing price for it btw! As for hardiness I’d say it’s not as easy as a shortcake since it’s not been around as long in captivity.. it seems to fair okay in my tank but doesn’t grow much like I said..

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I'm not looking for much growth as it's a nano tank...just good PE and a healthy coral is what I'm aiming for. Glad to hear i got an amazing price! The shop owner has had it for over 3 months and it has encrusted over the base which is why I felt a sort of safety net (although maybe superficial since there are no guarantees that it'll thrive in my tank)...oh wait , you were referring to the other corals i posted...my bad!
Looks like the Malaysian speciousa… it’s a slow grower but way cool piece.. that’s an amazing price for it btw! As for hardiness I’d say it’s not as easy as a shortcake since it’s not been around as long in captivity.. it seems to fair okay in my tank but doesn’t grow much like I said..

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They actually have slightly smaller pieces for even cheaper and bigger pieces for only a little more.
Looks like the Malaysian speciousa… it’s a slow grower but way cool piece.. that’s an amazing price for it btw! As for hardiness I’d say it’s not as easy as a shortcake since it’s not been around as long in captivity.. it seems to fair okay in my tank but doesn’t grow much like I said...

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I'm not looking for much growth as it's a nano tank...just good PE and a healthy coral is what I'm aiming for. Glad to hear i got an amazing price! The shop owner has had it for over 3 months and it has encrusted over the base which is why I felt a sort of safety net (although maybe superficial since there are no guarantees that it'll thrive in my tank)...oh wait , you were referring to the other corals i posted...my bad!
Lol… it’s all good man! You’ll never know if you don’t try! Don’t be scared! Just do it! The pieces look healthy..

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They actually have slightly smaller pieces for even cheaper and bigger pieces for only a little more.
That’s crazy! Wish my lfs had pieces like that.. I paid $80 for a 1/2” nub from a fellow reefer.. online that speciousa goes for big money..

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your lfs seems pretty awesome. I'd get into acros lol
It's mainly due to the location but the fact that he's willing to negotiate the already comparably low prices makes it even sweeter! The exciting thing here is that you never know what's gonna be available next and each piece is unique and one of a kind as opposed to many LFS in America and elsewhere where there are rows of ten of the same coral lined up for sale.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back