How Difficult is a 20 Gallon VS a 55 Gallon To Maintain (Heard Smaller Tanks May Be Harder)?

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also agree with the above statement about keeping a nano a little more simple with easier corals…mainly talking acros
My evo is packed full of coral, lps and sps…adding so many stony corals has made this tank much more finicky and there are no longer any cost savings on this tank, haha, it’s waaay overboard
I think that’s the key there, it’s not the size it’s how you use it, your tank that is :p
Hmm interesting point! I mean, I would be going FOWLR for now and MAYBE adding some simple Corals down the line but really not sure. My biggest concern was cost of salt + RO Filters adding up quickly haha

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 30+ years of reefing my 20g aio nano cube is the simplest system I have ever run.
No skimmer.
I dose trace.
10g wc once a month.
Tunze ato.
Tanks 7 months old and mostly acros.
It really boils down to experience level of the reefer.
Have a full plan before you start for success.
20220827_091612.jpg

Check out my ongoing build thread.í
Thread '18" AIO Nano Cube Stag System' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/18-aio-nano-cube-stag-system.883090/
That's a beautiful setup! With all that experience, what would you suggest are the best tips for success? What would a "full plan" include? Also, no skimmer? Is that because it's a smaller tank or can I get away with no skimmer in a 55 as well?

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically reefers don't say I think I need a smaller tank. it is the other way around. You will fill it up and want more more more. I would err on the side of the large tank. I think you will be more happy with it.
Haha you aren't wrong! I would definitely WANT the larger one (why I initially got it), but I guess seeing the insane cost upfront and calculating the costs for Salt + RO Filters for maintaining a large tank is what's concerning me. I don't want to commit (no fish yet) and then maintaining ends up costing more than I realize. Wife and I really wanted Saltwater cause the fish are way nicer, but being so new to it all I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed and questioning if I got in over my head, and wondering if the monthly/yearly costs for Saltwater are going to be close to the same as Freshwater and only a bit more, or if it will be a decent chunk more $.

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 20g and have decided to upgrade after only 2 months. There just doesnt seem to be enough room in the 20 to put things. As for cost my elec went up $30 per month with the 20g and I dont see the larger tank adding to that greatly. Biggest increase I am guessing will be salt but imo worth it for the extra real estate to place things
Ouff, $30 extra a month with just the 20g?? I was expecting like $10 maybe $15 tops a month. Apparently my powerheads (I have 2) are only 3 watts, apparently my HOB Filter is also only 3 watts, it seems to be mostly my heater that will add the electricty cost. I don't have coral so I won't need the same kind of lighting (assumingly?) but I guess if I ever get sucked into getting Coral that will be my downfall haha

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it all depends on what you want to keep. For me personally I started my tank because I enjoy the fish. Started with a system I can keep quite a few small fish in including a dwarf angel and would very much like to upgrade down the line to at least a 4' tank so I can Start keeping bigger fish. But if you want a reef that you can quickly fill with corals with a couple small fish a 20g would be prefect. But as far as the running cost I don't see it being that much different. Doing a bigger tank, usually the higher price is upfront paying for the actual tank then after that the cost differences running the tanks arent too far apart imo.
So you don't think I'd burn through Salt and RO Filters much faster with a 55 as opposed to a 20? Like I said to others, my biggest concern is monthly/yearly cost for maintaining as opposed to what freshwater would cost. I've been accustomed to freshwater since I was a little kid, but saltwater is foreign to me. Economy is nuts and I just don't want to get in over my head and end up realizing in a few months that it costs way too much to maintain VS Freshwater. That's I guess where I'm having the most issues right now trying to figure out.

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to get all kinds of answers on this one. I've only ever had nano tanks. Largest tank was a 30 gallon and smallest was a 5 gallon and I loved them all. I learned very quickly that shape is very important, meaning a long tank is always better than a tall tank... fish mostly swim sideways and long is easier for Coral placement and variable flow placement.

I'm currently working on a 10 gallon after a break from the hobby, to get my feet wet, so to speak. I think large vs small, they each have their own pros and cons. Larger, you obviously have more space and more forgiveness when it comes to what you can put in the tank, how much, and water swings. The frequency of work might also be less (water changes once every couple of weeks or fewer). Smaller tanks though, you have to do water changes more frequently to avoid any crazy water swings (ideally weekly water changes) but you're only doing 2-5 gallon water changes vs 10-20 gallon water changes. So maintenance may be more frequent, but my water changes in my 10 gallon take me 10 minutes, no sweat. It's more challenging figuring out the 2-3 fish/inhabitants you can put in a smaller tank together, but I also find it more rewarding because you can see everything and know where everything is at any given moment. It also takes less Frags and less money to fill the tank up with Coral to get you started vs putting in Coral after Coral in a larger tank and it still looking very empty.

Me personally, I like to grow out a small tank to then upgrade to a bigger size, grow out that tank and upgrade again, if and when I'm ready.

It's really a matter of taste and opinion and ultimately you should do what you think works best for you. A word of caution though, I've never met a reefer who has just one tank. Once you get started and get hooked, you may find yourself with a 20 gallon AND a 55 gallon reef setup!! One in the living room, one in the bedroom, one in the office, one in the bathroom, you get the drift! ;)

Best to you with whatever you decide!! They are both great sizes!!
Interesting! Do you think maintaining costs are pretty similar between smaller and larger tanks (like 20 to 55, or in your case 10 and 30)? I guess that's my biggest concern being so new to freshwater, is scared to get deep a few months and realize it's too costly to maintain compared to freshwater.

And haha that is very true, though I imagine fresh or salt that's true! We started setting up the 55 Gallon and then our Son wanted to set back up his old 5 Gallon (he wants freshwater) he got when he was younger, but we decided to get him a bit bigger for his Birthday cause he loves schooling fish like Tetras. So we already have more tanks than we had anticipated. Thankfully his room is warm so I don't imagine his heater turning on very often (less $$$ for Electricity haha)!

JJ"sSouthernAquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long story short, I feel like I got a bit too "trigger happy" with the idea of a saltwater aquarium, and have yet to buy any fish and feeling a bit of regret due to the costs of maintaining one (especially in this economy). I have a 55 Gallon cycling, but I also have a 20 Gallon I could swap to, which a smaller tank would mean less salt & burning through RODI Filters slower, which I would assume should cut costs by at least half, right?

But that leaves me with the question: Are 20 gallons much more difficult to maintain than a 55? I heard that smaller saltwater aquariums are harder to keep stable, is that true and between a 55 and 20, is there that much difference?
man i have a 5 gallon reef and it is doing good! although I will agree that the bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain mainly due to fluctuations in params and temp. but if you are willing to put in a lot of time and effort you could go smaller if you want it to be a tad cheaper. but if not i would recommend going bigger due to fluctuation. also the bigger it is the more fish you can have

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are wanting to go smaller because of cost, then I don’t think you will save much money at all, the biggest cost is electric, the light will be the same size, skimmer etc etc

Salt saving would be minimal, you could argue with a smaller tank you do more water changes, so the cost could be the same, and rodi filter are cheap, heating the tank would be higher depending on room temp.

I really don’t think there would be that much of a difference in cost between running 55 vs a 20 not in salt or rodi. For the small extra cost the 55 would be well worth paying that little extra for,
Ah, yeah? I guess my thought was half the salt used in a 20 VS a 55, and also half the RO water produced meaning filters would last longer. That said, I have another thread about RO systems where I'm trying to figure out realistically how long filters would actually last me (some people say 3 months for them, some say up to 2 years lol).

That said, in terms of water changes, are you not supposed to do weekly no matter what? I wanted to get away with bi-weekly, but everyone seems to say it must be weekly lol.

As for electricity, my pumps (got 2 Sicce 520gph) are like 3 Watts each it seems, same as my HOB Filter, so it seems the biggest cost is the Heater and potentially lighting? BUT, I imagine lighting is only more with Corals and FOWLR you can get away with more natural light?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a beautiful setup! With all that experience, what would you suggest are the best tips for success? What would a "full plan" include? Also, no skimmer? Is that because it's a smaller tank or can I get away with no skimmer in a 55 as well?
Your plan should consist of the parameters you want to run, then focus on keeping them in range.
For example; what do you want to keep your alk at. Have a range. I run 7-7.5.
How are you going to keep it in range? Which 2 part to use?
What SG and how are you keeping it stable? ATO to keep it stable.
How are you going to handle po4, no3?
This is just the basics.
So many people setup a tank with very little knowledge and then come here to fix the issues they should have done from day one.
I could go on. If you are new and want help pm me.

The type of tank you want and its inhabitants is directly related to your plan from day one.

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your plan should consist of the parameters you want to run, then focus on keeping them in range.
For example; what do you want to keep your alk at. Have a range. I run 7-7.5.
How are you going to keep it in range? Which 2 part to use?
What SG and how are you keeping it stable? ATO to keep it stable.
How are you going to handle po4, no3?
This is just the basics.
So many people setup a tank with very little knowledge and then come here to fix the issues they should have done from day one.
I could go on. If you are new and want help pm me.

The type of tank you want and its inhabitants is directly related to your plan from day one.
Wait, so what parameters do I need to be monitoring? Cause right now it was only pH and Nitrates (well also ammonia and Nitrites due to cycling but you know).

As for ALK, I hadn't thought of that, how do you keep that stable?

Salinity I was going to aim for probably 33-34 ppt if I can get away with that?
Temp I was going to aim for 76-77F?

Phosphates are another thing I hadn't considered and am not sure what you're supposed to do?

Nitrates, I heard you only need some if you have certain Corals? If it's FOWLR it doesn't really matter, right? BUT if I did ever get Corals, then I have no idea how I'd keep them in a good range lol

I may take you up on the offer to PM, thanks!

JJ"sSouthernAquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, so what parameters do I need to be monitoring? Cause right now it was only pH and Nitrates (well also ammonia and Nitrites due to cycling but you know).

As for ALK, I hadn't thought of that, how do you keep that stable?

Salinity I was going to aim for probably 33-34 ppt if I can get away with that?
Temp I was going to aim for 76-77F?

Phosphates are another thing I hadn't considered and am not sure what you're supposed to do?

Nitrates, I heard you only need some if you have certain Corals? If it's FOWLR it doesn't really matter, right? BUT if I did ever get Corals, then I have no idea how I'd keep them in a good range lol

I may take you up on the offer to PM, thanks!
phosphates is something you will have to watch out for especially with corals

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a nano advocate, started with 60g a decade ago and keep downsizing since then, now I will have two 11g tanks.

Takes smaller space in the house.

Cheaper equipment, pumps, lights, less filter media etc

Single figure extra on electricity bill.

Less livestock as well to make it look full.

Easier to reach the bottom with a long tweezer, remove bad stuff, change aquascape, less mess at water changes.

Overall I feel it takes less resources (money, time, space, hassle) to maintain a smaller tank.

I think 20 gallon is an ideal size.
Is the difference between a 55 and 20 that significant? Especially in terms of cost?

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really but it depends on how you set it up.
Well for the time being definitely just going to be FOWLR, but again, in terms of equipment needed, it seems like there's so many opinions, I'm not sure what's actually NEEDED (for example a skimmer).

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Go with the 20, learn the basics and upgrade in the future. A smaller tank is much easier to maintain. A lot of problems can be fixed with a water change, and a smaller tank means less water to make. Initial setup cost will be significantly cheaper for a 20 compared to a 55.

Stability in a smaller tank will only be a problem if you do not understand ratios. lol.

Now, if you are going fowlr, start with the 55. A fowler is much easier to maintain and only requires cheap equipment.

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From experience: Things can go really bad really quickly with a small tank, and you're probably more likely to be able to go longer without water changes on a lower bioload larger tank with equipment like a sump/skimmer/ato. As others have said, it's all about testing water and keeping parameters correct, which from experience, parameters are harder to keep stable in a smaller tank as small changes have a larger impact. Also, don't forget that IF something does go downhill, you can lose a lot of livestock, and saltwater creatures aren't cheap.

I'd stick with the 55g, I think you'll save money in the long run by having a more stable system. I honestly wish I started larger and didn't cheap out on stuff.

Edit: With that being said, you can always keep the 55 and start with a 20 to see how you like it, then convert it into the quarantine tank when you start up the 55 if you want. You'll need a quarantine tank anyway.

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be harmful to fish as well. it is caused by overfeeding. to help prevent it you need a good clean up crew and to get rid of it do some water changes.
Oh okay, sounds simple enough! If we stuck with the 55 Gallon, we were gonna throw in like 5 Nassarius and 5 Trochus Snails to start, as well as maybe a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp cause they seem awesome haha Is that a solid clean up crew?

Should water changes be done weekly or bi-weekly?

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the 20, learn the basics and upgrade in the future. A smaller tank is much easier to maintain. A lot of problems can be fixed with a water change, and a smaller tank means less water to make. Initial setup cost will be significantly cheaper for a 20 compared to a 55.

Stability in a smaller tank will only be a problem if you do not understand ratios. lol.

Now, if you are going fowlr, start with the 55. A fowler is much easier to maintain and only requires cheap equipment.
Right now we have both the 55 and 20 filled (20 was gonna be a QT but then was playing with the idea of it being the main tank if it saved cost and all that). So we're already part way deep at this point, it's more of a question of before getting fish and fully committing, I'm now strongly questioning how much maintaining costs will end up being for a 55 VS a 20, AND a 55 Salt VS Fresh (I'm concerned maintaining a Saltwater will be significantly more than if it were Freshwater. I know Saltwater is more obviously, but how much more to MAINTAIN is what I'm trying to fully understand).

There's a lot I'm not understanding right now still so idk haha

Yeah, it's definitely going to be FOWLR at least to start, and a good chance to stay that way (unless again, we get sucked into Corals haha). But if it's easier and cheaper to stay FOWLR that might be worth doing that!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back