Upgrading 13.5 gallon to a 20 gallon tank

PeterC2904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my fluvo evo 13.5 gallon for about a year now and I was thinking of maybe upgrading to a 20 gallon tank. I know I can use the same light and auto top off, but what would you guys recommend for filtration upgrades that would work for a 20 gallon, also would the pump I have work for it or would I need to upgrade that as well? (It’s the Sicce Syncra Silent 1.0 Pump). Also if it’s better to just scrap the upgrade idea and just keep the 13.5 gallon let me know.

OP
OP
P

PeterC2904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking at another aio tank?
At the moment I’m just looking at the tank and adding everything myself, but if an aio would work better than I wouldn’t be opposed to it, I just don’t know where to start or if even upgrading to a 20 is even worth it

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be increasing by +-7 gallons. It would be bigger obviously but it’s not that much bigger. Aio and transfer your gear

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having tried the Sicce pumps I can't recommend enough the IM Mighty Jet DC pump. I have the mini 266GPH in the same Fluval 13.5g and it has zero sound, controllable speeds and even supports feed and pulse mode.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should upgrade, why not? A 20 gallon is pretty easy, just get a powerhead (2 is better IMO), the rocks and flow are the main biofiltration. Weekly water changes will keep your water clean and healthy. If you really want some type of mechanical/chemical filtration, then get a small hob, it will accomplish both.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back