EVO 13.5, NUVO 15, or other?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Need to upgrade, was thinking about an EVO 13.5. . . but none available local and if I am going to have to wait for shipping figured I would look into other options. NUVO 15 looks like a good alternative. . . anything else?

EDIT: I should I add that I already have a light and pumps (will upgrade/change pump regardless of the tank I am getting)

Last edited:
OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Buy local. Keep the LFS in business.
I do plan to look at my LFS tomorrow, but last I checked they have neither of these tanks. . . I will look for alternatives, but it seems like the EVO 13.5 and NUVA 15 are the biggest/best AIO tanks at that price. My LFS has some nice rimless tanks for sale but then I would need to run two HOB filters for what I have planned and I don't want to do that.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of my local stores carry IM or Fluval tanks, with the exception of my local Petco has Fluval.

I just noticed that IM re-released their basic 20 gallon long Nuvo Fusion AOI tank. I would have purchased this tank if it was available when I bought my IM 15 AIO.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/20-n...=17976&indexName=brs_prod_m2_default_products

With the Fluval, you're getting a seemingly more complete kit initially, but the included lighting is marginal, and you'd likely want to upgrade it anyway (depending on what you want to keep). If it was me, I'd go the IM 10, 15, or 20 gallon AIO over the Fluval options.

Good luck!

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the baffle design on the IM over the Evo. When running without any media anywhere (which I sometimes do), the IM will keep water levels constant in two chambers, while evap occurs only in the pump chamber, the Evo all the chambers lower at the same time. This is really only obvious when you don't run an ATO, like myself. But the IM was easier to get a skimmer into, and more room for pump upgrades. Plus they sell a ready made screen lid, which I bought.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The IM Nuvo Fusion's are a great value for sure.

You may also want to check for Lifeguard Aquatics AIO's at both Petco and Chewy. Both sometimes have really great prices on these tanks, and especially Chewy is always offering coupons. Here's an example, it comes in other sizes:

https://www.chewy.com/lifegard-aquatics-crystal-aquarium/dp/318219

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used both. I would recommend the nuvo but add a filter media basket. The fluval is nice if evaporation is a bigger concern but you can always add a glass lid for the nuvo. I prefer mesh lids anyways.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will be on the look out for sales on the Lifegard tanks. I like Lifegard, have two of their tanks ATM, but price to volume wise they are a bit lacking. . .

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've used both. I would recommend the nuvo but add a filter media basket. The fluval is nice if evaporation is a bigger concern but you can always add a glass lid for the nuvo. I prefer mesh lids anyways.
If I vent with an EVO I would basically only be using the tank haha, not the lid, light, or pump. . .

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to upgrade, was thinking about an EVO 13.5. . . but none available local and if I am going to have to wait for shipping figured I would look into other options. NUVO 15 looks like a good alternative. . . anything else?

EDIT: I should I add that I already have a light and pumps (will upgrade/change pump regardless of the tank I am getting)
The AIO15 is nice, and you can have fish and corals no problem.

The AIO15 is nice, and you can have fish and corals no problem.

Attachments

• 15 AOI 43.jpg
    15 AOI 43.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks everyone for the replies. . . sounds like the NUVO 15 is probably the best bet, but I will keep looking!

Fount this. . . and looks like they aren't charging shipping on it? but 10 is still pretty small for a clownfish (my planned stocking). . . https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/10-gallon-cube-aio-rimless-glass-aquarium-icecap/

If I order the Nuvo 15, anywhere that will do free shipping. . . I know I am cheap :(

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't people like ordinary rectangle tanks anymore lol ?

I guess I'm old fashioned, I would just buy a 15 gallon tank for $25 since you have all the equipment anyway.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why don't people like ordinary rectangle tanks anymore lol ?

I guess I'm old fashioned, I would just buy a 15 gallon tank for $25 since you have all the equipment anyway.
I have used and still use rimmed tanks, but I prefer the rimless look and this tank will be front and center at my home work station. Also I want the AIO portion.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The IM Nuvo Fusion's are a great value for sure.

You may also want to check for Lifeguard Aquatics AIO's at both Petco and Chewy. Both sometimes have really great prices on these tanks, and especially Chewy is always offering coupons. Here's an example, it comes in other sizes:

https://www.chewy.com/lifegard-aquatics-crystal-aquarium/dp/318219
Weird that Chewy is selling the same tank but with a light and heater. . . for $30 cheaper. Might have to bight the bullet and order that one. . . https://www.chewy.com/lifegard-aquatics-low-iron-chrystal/dp/393270

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird that Chewy is selling the same tank but with a light and heater. . . for $30 cheaper. Might have to bight the bullet and order that one. . . https://www.chewy.com/lifegard-aquatics-low-iron-chrystal/dp/393270
Yeah, you have to look, they sometimes have really great deals on these Lifegard tanks. And my wife and I are seemingly always getting some kind of Chewy promotion like, 'take $20 off $50+' kind of thing so it would pay to watch :)

I've never actually owned a Lifegard tank, though the brand name has been around forever in Aquariums, and they seem to be priced right. I'd probably still go with one of the IM tanks, you'd know for sure that you can get things like perfectly fitting media baskets and tops.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back